Eguma hails dogged Pillars after sealing record points
Rivers United head coach Stanley Eguma was full of praises for his opponents Kano Pillars as well as his players after his side beat the Sai Masu Gida 1-0 to reach a record 74 points in Nigeria’s top flight.
The Pride of Rivers were confirmed as champions last weekend in spite of a loss to Nasarawa United but they never let their guards down despite Pillars’ stiff resistance in the MatchDay 36 game decided at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium, Port Harcourt.
Pillars goalkeeper Joshua Enaholo especially was a stumbling block for Eguma’s wards, denying the hosts on a number of occasions but he could do nothing to prevent Ebube Duru’s 94th minute penalty.
While the win meant that Rivers United surpass their previous record created in 2011 as Dolphins (also with Eguma the head coach), it meant that Pillars remain above the relegation zone, only on goals difference.
Eguma felt sympathy for his opponents after the final whistle but congratulated his players for a job well done.
“It was a hard-earned victory for us and I must commend Pillars for their effort. They really did well to contain everything we threw at them and it almost paid off but for the last minute effort our boys made to get that penalty,” Eguma told www.npfl.ng after the game.
Eguma also spoke on his own satisfaction at winning another league title especially on another record-breaking note.
“This is a record we set in 2011 as Dolphins Football Club, today we have come back to break it again. It’s a milestone in the profession and for me it’s a big achievement.
“For the players too, it’s a big achievement because most of them have not won the league before so it’s an opportunity for them to become champions,” added the home-grown tactician.
Pillars will journey to Jos to face Nasarawa United in their next league game of the season before rounding off their season against Shooting Stars in Kano.
For Rivers United, they end with an away game at Shooting Stars and Gombe United at home on the final day when the trophy will be presented to them.
Rivers United XI
16. Sochima Victor 6. Kazie Enyinnaya 27. Chidiebube Duru 11. Morice Chukwu
5. Ndasi Kadiang Denis 33. Temple Emekayi 12. Ishaq Rafiu Kayode 31. Chijioke Akuneto 28. Nyima Nwagua 18. Chiamaka Madu 20. Joseph Onoja
34. Darlingtin Ovunda 2. Solomon Okuruket 3. Konan Ruffin Ngouan 4. Yusuf Omotayo 8. Esor Nelson Okwa
14. Fabian Nworie 19. Festus Austin
25. Malachi Ohawume 29. Sikiru Olatunbosun
Kano Pillars XI
12. Joshua Enaholo 2. Abdullahi Ali
30. Fahad Usman 26. Tamara Ezekiel
5. Abdullahi Musa 4. Emeka Onyema
27. Nelson Ogbonnaya 9. Auwalu Ali Malam 8. Yusuf Bala Maigoro 10. Rabiu Ali 23. Daniel Mark
32. Bassey Akpan 31. Muhusin Attahiru
3. Ismaila Muhammad Nasir 21. Ifeanyi Kelvin Eze 25. Aniekeme Okon
19. Yusuf Suleiman 38. Suleiman Idris Ibrahim 18. Kokoette Udo 15. Gabriel Jeremiah