Akwa United vs Enyimba: 10 facts you should know
By Promise Etim
Ahead of the rescheduled Matchday 20 fixture between Aiteo Cup holders Akwa United and seven-time champions Enyimba on Wednesday, npfl.ng captures 10 important facts about the meeting.
1. Enyimba have won the title seven times, as against Akwa, who are yet to win the league.
2. Ezekiel Bassey (who recently joined Akwa after a brief stint in Spain with FC Barcelona B team) will be playing against his former side. The winger left Akwa for Enyimba and helped the Aba side secure the league title in 2015.
3. Apart from Ezekiel, Kelly Kester will also be facing his former employees. The defensive midfielder joined the Promise Keepers at the start of the current campaign and has been an integral member of the squad. He scored on his debut for the Uyo side.
4. Clean bill of health for both sides according to their respective media teams. But Akwa United head coach Abdu Maikaba will have to go about his game-plan without the service of Kodjovi Dazie, who has been sidelined due to injury for weeks.
5. Coaches Paul Aigbogun (Enyimba) and Abdu Maikaba (Akwa United) are handlers of the National U-20 team. The pair have been working together in the past couple of weeks and will face each other on Wednesday evening in Uyo.
6. In the reverse fixture played on April 29th, both sides shared points in Calabar. Enyimba played most of the game with ten men, following the sending off of Ghanaian goalkeeper, Fatau Dauda, who head-butted Ifeanyi Edeh.
7. Current Form (last five matches)
*Akwa United: WLDDL
8. Both sides have met 19 times in the league, with Enyimba winning eight of those fixtures while Akwa have managed five win and the remaining six ended in draws.
9. Enyimba boast of the best defence so far in the current campaign, having conceded ten times in 19 games, as against Akwa who have let in 16 in 21 fixtures. Abia Warriors, Lobi Stars and Rangers are closest to Enyimba with 14 each.
10. If both sides share the spoils, Akwa United could move to fifth on the log, while Enyimba could move into seventh place. A win for Akwa United could move them to fourth on the log, while a similar result for Enyimba could also see the seven-time champions climb to fourth place at the expanse of Niger Tornadoes.