By Fisayo Dairo
The NPFL Clubs Under-15 tournament which got underway last Monday has so far lived up to its billing of helping to chart a new developmental cause for football in Nigeria.
In what is an unprecedented move in the history of the round leather game in Nigeria, players not more than age 15 selected by the twenty top flight clubs are given the opportunity of competing under the same facility that the established league professionals strut their stuffs week in, week out in the Nigeria Professional Football League.
The first week of the NPFL Under 15 Promises tournament saw breathtaking football action from teens at the Owerrri and Osogbo centres in Groups A and C. While Groups B and D will follow in Kaduna and Abuja in the third week of April, few of the enormous future stars on parade made this writer's team of the tournament for those at the Owerri centre of the competition.
It was indeed a bunch of kids with expected lovely football nicknames such as Messi, Hazard, Ronaldo, Kante et al and some of those with such names showed something similar - if still very raw - to what the superstars they are called after repeatedly showcase at the global stage.
Having watched all the 10 games at the Owerri centre, here is my team of the tournament:
1. Ezekiel Vincent (Akwa United): This JSS 2 student was a calm and assured figure in goal for the Baby Promise Keepers. His idol is Vincent Enyeama and apart from being a namesake of the Lille stopper, he captained his team in two of the games and was instrumental to his team's two victories at the tournament. A shame they failed to progress but Vincent did just enough to beat Rivers United's Bright Joseph for my goalkeeping slot.
2. Babatunde Bello (FCIU): This energetic lad exhibited what many players at this level always have - versatility. He could have easily been my chosen right winger or left winger but I have to settle for the right back position where he played twice to devastating effect. The Lagos-born lad scored on the final day of completion against Rivers United and was definitely one of the stand out performers of the championship.
3. Joseph Wakama (Rivers United): A very assured player full if life going forward and discipline while defending. He is also versatile as he switched to central midfield position in his team's penultimate game against Enyimba. He is also very dangerous in set-pieces especially corner kicks. Surely one to look out for very soon.
4. Japhet Bilya (FCIU): Nicknamed Kante, this midfield star never allowed any ball to pass him. He was a shield in front of the FCIU defence and also very good on the ball. His movement up the pitch seldom lands him in scoring positions and he showed his dexterity in front of goal in their crucial game against Akwa United where he netted both goals in his team's 2-1 win.
5. Wisdom Nwazaigbe (FCIU): Full of wisdom and power. This defender of average height for his age was a rock in the FCIU backline and a starting point for many of their attacks. He combines good anticipation with impressive discipline in the way he smothers opponents' attack. Future Rio Ferdinand maybe?
6. Bassey Paul Paul (Rivers United): United's dependable centre back who played every minute of their four games. Strong in the air and decisive on the ground. He is one of the reasons why goalkeeper Bright Joseph conceded just one goal from open play throughout the group stage.
7. Ebenezer Samuel (Rivers United): One of the many players nicknamed Messi at the Championship. Full of trickery. His dribbles, nutmegs and mazy runs continually had spectators on their feet during the games and his presence was felt when the Ogoni-born lad missed the last game due to a thigh complaint.
8. Archibong Archibong (Akwa United): A big fan of Ifeanyi Ifeanyi of the senior team. Archibong is a set-piece specialist and apart from scoring directly from a free kick against Rivers United, he created assist from one for Elisha Jonah against Enyimba and was a torment all through the week from dead ball situations. That gave him a spot in my selection.
9. Elisha Jonah (Akwa United): Joint top scorer in the Owerri group stage with four goals, the Ikot-Ekpene born lad was a thorn in the flesh of defenders. His technique belies his fragile frame and his aerial prowess also goes beyond his average height. He made an instant mark on the opening day, second half hattrick and then headed home the late winner against Enyimba. Ubong Friday of the senior team is the mentor of this boy that excelled considerably in a team that created very little for him.
10. Nansel Bussa (FCIU): This Plateau-born left-footed player was the leader of the FC Ifeanyiubah team. He hardly gives the ball away and has an excellent vision with which he picks his teammates from afar. He is also a brilliant dribbler and can play either as a Number 10 or as a winger. He loves Seka Pascal and hopes to be ready to replace him in the first team very soon.
11. Nathan Collins (Rivers United): After taking up the role of unsung hero for the team in their opening games, creating a pair of assists for Kenneth Clinton, Collins hit the spotlight by himself with a hattrick performance in their penultimate game against Enyimba. He took up a central role on the second half of the final game against Ifeanyiubah and did considerably well to occupy the FCIU defence as they got a late equalizer.
Other Mentions: It was a very tough task to arrive at this Selection because so many of the youngsters distinguished themselves in peculiar ways. Some of those that came close are the likes of Rivers United goalkeeper Bright Jospeh who showed great reflex and maturity, Akwa United centre back Idongesit Bassey, Enyimba captain Samuel Francis, a defender of the Chinedu Udoji school of thought, Enyimba's effervescent midfielder Ifeanyi Ugochukwu - their own Kante - and Rivers United's Felix Ojuah Okechukwu, a brilliant midfielder who narrowly missed out to Archibong Archibong.
In the attack, Abia Warriors' duo of Henry Udezuka and captain Chukwudi Igbokwe made their while not forgetting Enyimba's duo of Godswill Anyanwu and set-piece specialist Chinonso Romanus. FCIU's Arinze Nwafuru wraps up the list of the notable mentions and really, it could have been more. Easy to monitor the names from now.
NPFL CLUB NEWS
- Created Date: 20 November 2017Hist: 314By George Akpayen Ikechukwu Batholomew Ibenegbu has declared that he is looking to keep up from last season by continuing his goalscoring act from dead-ball situations when the 2017-18 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season gets underway on 14 January 2018. Last campaign, Ibenegbu, nicknamed Mosquito, was one of 27 players who scored direct free kicks and two out of the three free kicks he scored helped his club Enyimba to finish in the top-three which secured them a place in next...Read moreCreated Date: 16 November 2017Hist: 1653•Pre-season invitational holds in Kano, Dec 11-17 •Club Licensing documentation ends January 5 •Season ends September 30 Activities to kick-start the 2017/18 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season which began with the on-going club licensing will enter the next stage with the annual NPFL Pre-season tournament from December 11-17, 2017 to usher in the grand season opening matches on January 14, 2018. The schedule of the new season’s activities which has been endorsed by the League...Read moreCreated Date: 15 November 2017Hist: 662By Clement Nwankpa Jr The future of the beautiful game is in the youth. Every nation that aspires to excel in international football must evolve a system that ensures regular supply of fresh talents. Nigeria has won the U-17 World Championship a record five times. Ironically, this has not reflected in the nation's performances at the World Cup. This has led to a clamour for a more institutionalised process that guarantees a regular supply of quality young talents.Read moreCreated Date: 09 November 2017Hist: 569By George Akpayen Nyima Nwagua has told npfl.ng that he has that feeling of inspiring optimism that his club Kano Pillars can throw their hat in the ring for the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) and the AITEO Cup titles in the coming season. The striker joined Kano Pillars in the mid-season transfer window of last season from another NPFL side Lobi Stars and at that time, the former league champions finished in 14th place with 24 points, 11 behind leaders Plateau United, after 19...Read moreCreated Date: 04 November 2017Hist: 591By Joshua Tekidek Wikki Tourists have began preparation in earnest for the 2017/18 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) after a disappointing performance in the last campaign. The fortunes of the club on the playing pitch nosedived following the departure of Abdu Maikaba who joined Akwa United at the start of last season's campaign as head coach having led them to top-four places in 2016 and 2015.Read moreCreated Date: 02 November 2017Hist: 857Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) champions Plateau United are on the verge of signing striker Tosin Omoyele from Osun United while Enyimba are hopeful of landing Nasarawa United duo of Abdulrahman Bashir and Olayinka Onaolapo. Plateau United have made an official bid for Osun United's top scorer in the second tier, the Nigeria National League (NNL) last season and look close to winning the race to sign the forward.Read moreCreated Date: 01 November 2017Hist: 518By Osondu Ngwude Former Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) champions Rangers International on Wednesday unveiled Gbenga Ogunbote as their head coach for the coming season. The club also appointed former Rangers and Sharks striker Davidson Owumi as their general manager with Festus Onu as chairman.Read moreCreated Date: 01 November 2017Hist: 567Seven-time Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) winners Enyimba are inching closer to sealing a move for Gombe United forward Austine Oladapo. However their city rivals Abia Warriors have taken their scouting to the amateur ranks in a bid to pluck talented midfielder Solomon Obubu from Delta-based outfit Sunsel FC.Read more
- Created Date: 31 October 2017Hist: 2460Rangers International will soon be floated on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), an official of the Administrative Commission of Inquiry on Rangers confirmed on Tuesday. Based on the submissions made by the commission, the Enugu State Government will likely divest its shares and stakes in Rangers soon. About two months ago the state government had set up the Administrative Commission of Inquiry, which had been looking into the club’s activities.Read moreCreated Date: 27 October 2017Hist: 1564President of Nigeria Football Federation, Mr. Amaju Melvin Pinnick on Friday congratulated NFF 2nd Vice President/LMC Chairman Shehu Dikko, after he was named a Member of the FIFA Football Stakeholders Committee. FIFA ratified the appointment of Dikko at its Council meeting held Friday, 27th October 2017 in Calcutta, India.Read moreCreated Date: 27 October 2017Hist: 492By Andrew Randa Plateau United skipper Elisha Golbe was recently honoured at Federal College of Education Pankshin, Plateau State for his outstanding contribution to sports in Pankshin Local Government and Plateau State in general. Golbe who is an alumnus of the institution led Plateau United to a first-ever Nigeria Professional Football League title and has been making appearances and giving motivational speeches at various grass-root competitions in Pankshin and other...Read moreCreated Date: 26 October 2017Hist: 686Defender of relegated Abubakar Bukola Saraki (ABS) FC, Ernest Governor is one the targets of former champions, Enyimba International as they look to strengthen their squad ahead of the 2017/18 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) and the 2018 CAF Confederation Cup. The Aba side have lodged a transfer request with the NPFL FIFA Domestic Transfer Matching System for the player and his teammate, Mohammed Aman Mohammed.Read moreCreated Date: 26 October 2017Hist: 583By Osondu Ngwude After missing out in all of last season's games in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL), Rangers International striker Ifeanyi Egwim has declared himself fit for the coming season. The player who last played for his team on the last day of the 2015/16 season has revealed that he has recovered fully and now feels he is in good shape to make a return.Read moreCreated Date: 25 October 2017Hist: 742Plateau United have put in a bid for five players including FC Ifeanyiubah’s King Osanga and Rangers duo of Charles Henlong and Orji Okagbue Kalu. This is as Ammeh Wilfred has handed in a request to leave Niger Tornadoes to a yet to be named club.Read moreCreated Date: 22 October 2017Hist: 629By George Akpayen Akwa United captain Otobong Effiong has set his sight on a successful outing in next year's CAF Confederation Cup. Effiong and his teammates had to endure a gruelling contest from Niger Tornadoes last Sunday to clinch the AITEO Cup that meant they qualified to represent Nigeria in the CAF Confederation Cup in 2018.Read moreCreated Date: 19 October 2017Hist: 512By George Akpayen Niger Tornadoes captain and goalkeeper Mustapha Salihu Aliko feels his team were unfortunate to miss out on the opportunity of winning the AITEO Cup against Akwa United at the Agege Stadium in Lagos on Sunday. Aliko despite keeping a clean sheet in open for his club was distraught when npfl.ng caught up with him.Read more
- Created Date: 17 October 2017Hist: 706By Uchenna Iyoke After being handed the role of head coach/technical adviser at Kano Pillars on a permanent basis following a mid-table finish in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) last season, Ibrahim Musa is confident of building a successful tenure. Kadiri Ikhana and Mohammed Baba Ganaru are already cult heroes with Kano Pillars faithful and Musa who has been in the background since 1996 with different coaches at the club now feels he can build on previous achievements of the club...Read moreCreated Date: 15 October 2017Hist: 685By George Akpayen Akwa United have won this year's AITEO Cup following their 3-2 win over Niger Tornadoes at the Agege Stadium in Lagos on Sunday night. The Promise Keepers were tagged favourites to lift the Cup by pundits who believe they play the most beautiful brand of football in the country.Read moreCreated Date: 14 October 2017Hist: 747By George Akpayen Akwa United and Niger Tornadoes will go toe to toe for the third time this season but when they meet on Sunday, it will be one of the most important games for them this season as they aim to win the AITEO Cup. Their previous meetings this season have been in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) over two games. When they first met in March this year, Tornadoes won 1-0 through Ifeanyi Okoye's goal from the spot kick and at that time, Abdu Maikaba was still...Read moreCreated Date: 14 October 2017Hist: 375By George Akpayen Akwa United head coach Abdu Maikaba has spoken of how dangerous their opponents Niger Tornadoes could be when the two Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) clubs meet in Sunday's AITEO Cup final at the Agege Stadium in Lagos. Maikaba explained that Niger Tornadoes should be considered "a very dangerous and strong opposition" after they dispatched the Cup holders FC Ifeanyiubah and NPFL champions Plateau United in the semi-finals and...Read moreCreated Date: 12 October 2017Hist: 852•With Over N1 billion jackpot AfroMillionsLotto, the Nigerian Professional Football League’s (NPFL) exciting new lotto, goes live TODAY – allowing people to buy their online tickets for the first big jackpot draw, which will take place on Wednesday 18th October. Starting at N1 billion, the www.afromillionslotto.com twice-weekly draw features bigger jackpots than all the lotteries in Nigeria combined. What’s more, it will also be the largest jackpot on offer anywhere in Africa. And if the...Read moreCreated Date: 06 October 2017Hist: 812By George Akpayen Niger Tornadoes will play in the final of this year’s AITEO Cup after edging Cup holders FC Ifeanyiubah on 4-3 aggregate despite suffering a one-nil defeat in Nnewi in the second leg, semi-finals on Thursday. Godwin Obaje scored the winner of the game on the day for FC Ifeanyiubah which proved insufficient at the end. FC Ifeanyiubah needed two goals in the all Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) semi-final clash to reach back-to-back final but Tornadoes made it...Read moreCreated Date: 05 October 2017Hist: 301By Joshua Tekidek El-Kanemi Warriors FC on Wednesday announced that Ladan Bosso would not be returning as the club manager when the new Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) resumes. Bosso joined the Maiduguri-based outfit in the 2014/15 season when they played away from home in Kano and Katsina as a result of the heightened activity of Boko Haram insurgents that ravaged most of Borno State. The club finished sixth on the log last season, an improvement from their 8th position in his...Read moreCreated Date: 02 October 2017Hist: 993By Andrew Randa “Marriage is a mosaic you build with your spouse. Millions of tiny moments that create your love story.” - Jennifer Smith This is akin to what Samuel and Faith Agba’s love story is all about as different mosaics of the good, the weird and the incredible all came together to form a beautiful love fresco. She looked extremely happy as she danced her way towards the huge white cake that was placed in front of a pew decorated like folding arms. It was her big day, she had every...Read more
- Created Date: 30 September 2017Hist: 1043By George Akpayen Sunshine Stars and Niger Tornadoes gave themselves good headstarts in their bid to reach the final of the Aiteo Cup this year with victories in the first leg matches of the semi-final matches on Saturday. In all Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) semi-finals, Sunshine Stars edged Akwa United 1-0 at the Dipo Dina Stadium in Ijebu-Ode while Cup holders FC Ifeanyiubah blew a two-goal lead to lose 2-4 to Tornadoes at the Confluence Stadium in Lokoja.Read moreCreated Date: 30 September 2017Hist: 515By George Akpayen It will be an all Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) semi-finals in the Aiteo Cup as four sides holders FC Ifeanyiubah, Akwa United, Niger Tornadoes and Sunshine Stars take part in first leg games on Saturday. FC Ifeanyiubah will play on the road in the first leg at the Confluence Stadium in Lokoja against Niger Tornadoes who are aiming for a second Cup title while Sunshine Stars also looking to win their first major silverware in the country play hosts to 2015...Read moreCreated Date: 28 September 2017Hist: 620By George Akpayen Enyimba captain Mfon Udoh has opened up that the Peoples Elephant had "a tough season" despite finishing in third place in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL). The Enyimba man explained that playing away from their Aba stadium "was not easy" though they enjoyed the backing of their host community in Calabar where they made the UJ Esuene Stadium their home ground for the entire league campaign.Read moreCreated Date: 28 September 2017Hist: 901A non-governmental organisation (NGO), Medicaid Cancer Foundation on Tuesday has enlisted the support of the League Management Company (LMC) in their campaign to eliminate cancer and assist patients. Founder of Medicaid and wife of Kebbi State governor, Dr Zainab Shinkafi-Bagudu, said during a courtesy visit to the LMC office in Abuja that Medicaid is soliciting technical assistance from the league body to organize a charity tournament to raise awareness for the fight against cancer. She and...Read moreCreated Date: 27 September 2017Hist: 695By George Akpayen Niger Tornadoes striker Samuel Agba will this Saturday be joined in holy matrimony with his heartthrob Faith Anastasia in Kaduna. Agba who was born and bred in the city of Kaduna explained that he believes that this is the right time “to settle down” and “tie the knot.” He also revealed that he met his fiancee just when he began his professional career while still with Jigawa Golden Stars.Read moreCreated Date: 25 September 2017Hist: 532Players and officials of the Super Eagles squad to the just ended West African Football Union (WAFU) Cup of Nations in Ghana has received commendation from the League Management Company (LMC) which urged them to build on the lessons learnt from the sub-continental championship for the 2018 African Nations Championship (CHAN). The players were drawn from the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) organized by the LMC.Read moreCreated Date: 23 September 2017Hist: 1212By George Akpayen Aiteo Cup holders FC Ifeanyiubah and Sunshine Stars have booked their places in the last four of the competition after victories in Saturday's quarter-final games. FC Ifeanyiubah showed that their three-goal advantage from the first meeting of the last eight against ABS FC who have been relegated from the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) was no fluke. This time playing at the Kwara stadium in Ilorin, home of ABS, the Anambra Warriors claimed a 1-0 win to make it...Read moreCreated Date: 23 September 2017Hist: 708By Mitchell Obi Only a fingerful of duels can match this any day and anytime. Instant flow of adrenaline from the players and the fans. Call it the dream contest...Ghana versus Nigeria part two. This is the game that the continent wants to watch even if it is a regional final. Tinged with revenge and wrapped with the eternal rivalry of two soccer powers this Sunday's final promises a tide and how it will flow depends on the wind of confidence bellowing in either team.Read more
- Created Date: 21 September 2017Hist: 566By George Akpayen Kano Pillars playmaker Rabiu Ali scored the winner for Nigeria as they edged Benin Republic 1-0 in the first semifinals of the 2017 Wafu Cup of Nations at the Cape Coast Stadium in Ghana on Thursday. The Nigerians took the lead in the 11th minute of the contest through Ali after Anthony Okpotu played him through on goal.Read moreCreated Date: 19 September 2017Hist: 832By Ayo Olu Ibidapo Lobi Stars striker, Anthony Okpotu has expressed happiness after scoring in Nigeria’s 2-0 win over perennial rivals, Ghana on Monday at the ongoing WAFU Cup of Nations. Okpotu scored 19 goals in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) for the Makurdi-based outfit to emerge top scorer in the just concluded 2016/2017 season.Read moreCreated Date: 19 September 2017Hist: 803By George Akpayen The cameras and lights are out. The champions have emerged after 380 matches in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) and the four for the drop will by now start preparing for life in the second tier. However, the season has produced some very interesting numbers, or statistics. Npfl.ng looks back at some of those stats.Read moreCreated Date: 18 September 2017Hist: 265By George Akpayen The Super Eagles defeated the Black Stars of Ghana 2-0 in their last group game at the Cape Coast Stadium to seal passage into the last four at the Wafu Cup of Nations on Monday. Salisu Yusuf’s men needed four odd minutes in the second half to put the bed and beyond their Ghanaian opponents as Anthony Okpotu and Peter Eneji scored the goals.Read moreCreated Date: 17 September 2017Hist: 938By Andrew Randa After 38 matchdays, the 2016/17 Nigeria Professional Football League came to a climax with Plateau United lifting the title after defeating Rangers International of Enugu 2-0 at the Rwang Pam Stadium. Goals from Emeka Umeh and Benjamin Turba made sure there was daylight between the Jos side and MFM FC who eventually lost a game they needed to win to have any chance to upstaging Plateau United.Read moreCreated Date: 16 September 2017Hist: 692By Uchenna Iyoke Wikki Tourists cemented their top flight status with a 2-0 win over relegated Gombe United at the El-Kanemi Sports Complex, Maiduguri. Abubakar Lawal rose highest to nod home from close range a delivery by Harrison Madu in the 36th minute. Maurice Chigozie had earlier scored an goal in the abandoned game at the Pantami Stadium just about a week ago to put the Bauchi side ahead.Read moreCreated Date: 13 September 2017Hist: 947FIFA President Gianni Infantino has felicitated with the players, technical crew, management, backroom staff and supporters of Plateau United FC of Jos over the club’s emergence on Saturday as new champions of the Nigeria Professional Football League. The Jos–based club defeated last season’s champions Enugu Rangers 2-0 to amass 66 points and scoop their first–ever Nigerian championship in front of delirious home fans at the Rwang Pam Stadium.Read moreCreated Date: 10 September 2017Hist: 952By George Akpayen Enyimba coach Gbenga Ogunbote has stated that he was always confident before the start of the 2016/17 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season that his team will finish in top-three position. He explained that he had that self-belief that he had assembled a decent playing personnel to achieve that objective and clinch a place to play in one of CAF club competitions, the Confederation Cup.Read more
- Created Date: 10 September 2017Hist: 886By Janefrances Nweze Ndifreke Effiong scored twice in Abia Warriors' 4-1 steam-rolling of Rivers United in one of 10 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) final day fixtures on Saturday. Abia Warriors coach, Abdullahi Biffo came into the game with the fear of going down if they lose to their visitors having picked 50 points all season to be one of the teams on the red line.Read moreCreated Date: 10 September 2017Hist: 1227By Promise Etim Lobi Stars forward Anthony Okpotu scored in his side's visit to FC Ifeanyiubah in Nnewi to leapfrog MFM striker Stephen Odey who left the club just before the final game to the golden boot for the 2016/17 season with both players tied on 18 before kickoff on Saturday. Okpotu's quest for goals capped the opening minutes of the encounter. The striker was denied by FC Ifeanyiubah goalkeeper Traore Sory before the quarter hour mark, but Okpotu would wait till the 24th minute to...Read moreCreated Date: 09 September 2017Hist: 654By Ademola Olajire Ibrahim Babawo and Ebenezer Odeyemi starred as Niger Tornadoes played with heart and spirit and got due reward with a 2-0 win over Shooting Stars of Ibadan, who were mired in relegation waters and were expected to put up a better fight for the points at the Confluence Stadium, Lokoja. Before the match, the management and players of the Oluyole Warriors had promised a ‘fight-to’finish’ in their final game of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season in Lokoja. But...Read moreCreated Date: 09 September 2017Hist: 630By Mohammed Yusuf Suleiman It was highly unlikely MFM FC were going to get a result in Maiduguri to supplant eventual champions, Plateau United but El-Kanemi Warriors were as expected clinical in the 2-1 defeat of the ambitious Lagos side to end their dream of a surprise title win. El-Kanemi Warriors started on the front foot with Chibuzor Okonkwo's free kick wide from the edge of the box of MFM almost giving them the lead on the 3rd minute, but a touch from the wall...Read moreCreated Date: 09 September 2017Hist: 573By Clement Nwankpa Jr Plateau United defeated Rangers 2-0 at Rwang Pam Stadium, Jos to record a first ever topflight title on Saturday. Going into the game, Plateau needed a win to emerge champions irrespective of what happened in Maiduguri where second-placed MFM FC were guests of El-Kanemi. And they left nobody in doubt as to their resolve as they were on the front foot from the blast of the whistle.Read moreCreated Date: 09 September 2017Hist: 968By Fisayo Dairo Former NPFL champions Enyimba wrapped up the season in their adopted home in Calabar with a comfortable 1-0 win over Katsina United to assure themselves of a place in next year's CAF Confederation Cup. Striker Stephen Chukwude headed home the game's only goal on 10 minutes but in fairness could have been more, save for Ikechukwu Ibenegbu's romance with the opponents' cross bar in the second half.Read moreCreated Date: 09 September 2017Hist: 1627By George Akpayen Plateau United have emerged the new Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) champions after defeating Rangers 2-0 at the Rwang Pam Stadium in Jos on Saturday. The giant Emeka Umeh and Benjamin Turba got the goals that ensured the Jos club became the 19th club to win the top division in Nigeria. It was a befitting occasion for the new champions as they faced off with outgoing champions Rangers but still had to make sure of a first title with MFM FC breathing down their...Read moreCreated Date: 08 September 2017Hist: 1160By Tunde Oyedele At last the final weekend of the 2016/17 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season is here with title hopes for table-toppers and lamentations in the camp of those battling relegation, and Nasarawa United coach Kabiru Dogo intends finish the campaign on a high when they host ABS FC in Lafia on Saturday despite an underwhelming season.Read more
- Created Date: 08 September 2017Hist: 5945A broadcast production agreement was on Thursday in Abuja signed by the League Management Company (LMC) and the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) for production of matches of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL). The papers were signed by the LMC Chairman Shehu Dikko and Mallam Yakubu Ibn Muhammed, the Director General of NTA.Read moreCreated Date: 08 September 2017Hist: 1059By Clement Nwankpa Jr How often have you been on transit and see inscriptions on commercial buses or trailers in Nigeria such as 'Slow and steady wins the race,' 'To be a man is not a day's job,' 'No food for a lazy man?' These are inscriptions that capture the toils and vicissitudes of life. But none can be more apt than the one that says, 'NO CONDITION IS PERMANENT.' This season has buttressed this. Three out of the top-four teams this season battled relegation last season namely Plateau...Read more
NPFL MATCHDAY 38
NPFL League Table
Photo Gallery : Football Action
LMC News Update
- Created Date: 12 July 2017•Tornadoes lose bid for Boardroom Points Reprieve came for Kano Pillars and Sunshine Stars as the...Read more