By Fisayo Dairo
The NPFL Clubs Under-15 tournament which got underway last Monday has so far lived up to its billing of helping to chart a new developmental cause for football in Nigeria.
In what is an unprecedented move in the history of the round leather game in Nigeria, players not more than age 15 selected by the twenty top flight clubs are given the opportunity of competing under the same facility that the established league professionals strut their stuffs week in, week out in the Nigeria Professional Football League.
The first week of the NPFL Under 15 Promises tournament saw breathtaking football action from teens at the Owerrri and Osogbo centres in Groups A and C. While Groups B and D will follow in Kaduna and Abuja in the third week of April, few of the enormous future stars on parade made this writer's team of the tournament for those at the Owerri centre of the competition.
It was indeed a bunch of kids with expected lovely football nicknames such as Messi, Hazard, Ronaldo, Kante et al and some of those with such names showed something similar - if still very raw - to what the superstars they are called after repeatedly showcase at the global stage.
Having watched all the 10 games at the Owerri centre, here is my team of the tournament:
1. Ezekiel Vincent (Akwa United): This JSS 2 student was a calm and assured figure in goal for the Baby Promise Keepers. His idol is Vincent Enyeama and apart from being a namesake of the Lille stopper, he captained his team in two of the games and was instrumental to his team's two victories at the tournament. A shame they failed to progress but Vincent did just enough to beat Rivers United's Bright Joseph for my goalkeeping slot.
2. Babatunde Bello (FCIU): This energetic lad exhibited what many players at this level always have - versatility. He could have easily been my chosen right winger or left winger but I have to settle for the right back position where he played twice to devastating effect. The Lagos-born lad scored on the final day of completion against Rivers United and was definitely one of the stand out performers of the championship.
3. Joseph Wakama (Rivers United): A very assured player full if life going forward and discipline while defending. He is also versatile as he switched to central midfield position in his team's penultimate game against Enyimba. He is also very dangerous in set-pieces especially corner kicks. Surely one to look out for very soon.
4. Japhet Bilya (FCIU): Nicknamed Kante, this midfield star never allowed any ball to pass him. He was a shield in front of the FCIU defence and also very good on the ball. His movement up the pitch seldom lands him in scoring positions and he showed his dexterity in front of goal in their crucial game against Akwa United where he netted both goals in his team's 2-1 win.
5. Wisdom Nwazaigbe (FCIU): Full of wisdom and power. This defender of average height for his age was a rock in the FCIU backline and a starting point for many of their attacks. He combines good anticipation with impressive discipline in the way he smothers opponents' attack. Future Rio Ferdinand maybe?
6. Bassey Paul Paul (Rivers United): United's dependable centre back who played every minute of their four games. Strong in the air and decisive on the ground. He is one of the reasons why goalkeeper Bright Joseph conceded just one goal from open play throughout the group stage.
7. Ebenezer Samuel (Rivers United): One of the many players nicknamed Messi at the Championship. Full of trickery. His dribbles, nutmegs and mazy runs continually had spectators on their feet during the games and his presence was felt when the Ogoni-born lad missed the last game due to a thigh complaint.
8. Archibong Archibong (Akwa United): A big fan of Ifeanyi Ifeanyi of the senior team. Archibong is a set-piece specialist and apart from scoring directly from a free kick against Rivers United, he created assist from one for Elisha Jonah against Enyimba and was a torment all through the week from dead ball situations. That gave him a spot in my selection.
9. Elisha Jonah (Akwa United): Joint top scorer in the Owerri group stage with four goals, the Ikot-Ekpene born lad was a thorn in the flesh of defenders. His technique belies his fragile frame and his aerial prowess also goes beyond his average height. He made an instant mark on the opening day, second half hattrick and then headed home the late winner against Enyimba. Ubong Friday of the senior team is the mentor of this boy that excelled considerably in a team that created very little for him.
10. Nansel Bussa (FCIU): This Plateau-born left-footed player was the leader of the FC Ifeanyiubah team. He hardly gives the ball away and has an excellent vision with which he picks his teammates from afar. He is also a brilliant dribbler and can play either as a Number 10 or as a winger. He loves Seka Pascal and hopes to be ready to replace him in the first team very soon.
11. Nathan Collins (Rivers United): After taking up the role of unsung hero for the team in their opening games, creating a pair of assists for Kenneth Clinton, Collins hit the spotlight by himself with a hattrick performance in their penultimate game against Enyimba. He took up a central role on the second half of the final game against Ifeanyiubah and did considerably well to occupy the FCIU defence as they got a late equalizer.
Other Mentions: It was a very tough task to arrive at this Selection because so many of the youngsters distinguished themselves in peculiar ways. Some of those that came close are the likes of Rivers United goalkeeper Bright Jospeh who showed great reflex and maturity, Akwa United centre back Idongesit Bassey, Enyimba captain Samuel Francis, a defender of the Chinedu Udoji school of thought, Enyimba's effervescent midfielder Ifeanyi Ugochukwu - their own Kante - and Rivers United's Felix Ojuah Okechukwu, a brilliant midfielder who narrowly missed out to Archibong Archibong.
In the attack, Abia Warriors' duo of Henry Udezuka and captain Chukwudi Igbokwe made their while not forgetting Enyimba's duo of Godswill Anyanwu and set-piece specialist Chinonso Romanus. FCIU's Arinze Nwafuru wraps up the list of the notable mentions and really, it could have been more. Easy to monitor the names from now.
NPFL CLUB NEWS
- Created Date: 21 September 2017Hist: 371By George Akpayen Kano Pillars playmaker Rabiu Ali scored the winner for Nigeria as they edged Benin Republic 1-0 in the first semifinals of the 2017 Wafu Cup of Nations at the Cape Coast Stadium in Ghana on Thursday. The Nigerians took the lead in the 11th minute of the contest through Ali after Anthony Okpotu played him through on goal.Read moreCreated Date: 19 September 2017Hist: 708By Ayo Olu Ibidapo Lobi Stars striker, Anthony Okpotu has expressed happiness after scoring in Nigeria’s 2-0 win over perennial rivals, Ghana on Monday at the ongoing WAFU Cup of Nations. Okpotu scored 19 goals in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) for the Makurdi-based outfit to emerge top scorer in the just concluded 2016/2017 season.Read moreCreated Date: 19 September 2017Hist: 572By George Akpayen The cameras and lights are out. The champions have emerged after 380 matches in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) and the four for the drop will by now start preparing for life in the second tier. However, the season has produced some very interesting numbers, or statistics. Npfl.ng looks back at some of those stats.Read moreCreated Date: 18 September 2017Hist: 162By George Akpayen The Super Eagles defeated the Black Stars of Ghana 2-0 in their last group game at the Cape Coast Stadium to seal passage into the last four at the Wafu Cup of Nations on Monday. Salisu Yusuf’s men needed four odd minutes in the second half to put the bed and beyond their Ghanaian opponents as Anthony Okpotu and Peter Eneji scored the goals.Read moreCreated Date: 17 September 2017Hist: 767By Andrew Randa After 38 matchdays, the 2016/17 Nigeria Professional Football League came to a climax with Plateau United lifting the title after defeating Rangers International of Enugu 2-0 at the Rwang Pam Stadium. Goals from Emeka Umeh and Benjamin Turba made sure there was daylight between the Jos side and MFM FC who eventually lost a game they needed to win to have any chance to upstaging Plateau United.Read moreCreated Date: 16 September 2017Hist: 545By Uchenna Iyoke Wikki Tourists cemented their top flight status with a 2-0 win over relegated Gombe United at the El-Kanemi Sports Complex, Maiduguri. Abubakar Lawal rose highest to nod home from close range a delivery by Harrison Madu in the 36th minute. Maurice Chigozie had earlier scored an goal in the abandoned game at the Pantami Stadium just about a week ago to put the Bauchi side ahead.Read moreCreated Date: 13 September 2017Hist: 825FIFA President Gianni Infantino has felicitated with the players, technical crew, management, backroom staff and supporters of Plateau United FC of Jos over the club’s emergence on Saturday as new champions of the Nigeria Professional Football League. The Jos–based club defeated last season’s champions Enugu Rangers 2-0 to amass 66 points and scoop their first–ever Nigerian championship in front of delirious home fans at the Rwang Pam Stadium.Read moreCreated Date: 10 September 2017Hist: 856By George Akpayen Enyimba coach Gbenga Ogunbote has stated that he was always confident before the start of the 2016/17 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season that his team will finish in top-three position. He explained that he had that self-belief that he had assembled a decent playing personnel to achieve that objective and clinch a place to play in one of CAF club competitions, the Confederation Cup.Read more
- Created Date: 10 September 2017Hist: 743By Janefrances Nweze Ndifreke Effiong scored twice in Abia Warriors' 4-1 steam-rolling of Rivers United in one of 10 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) final day fixtures on Saturday. Abia Warriors coach, Abdullahi Biffo came into the game with the fear of going down if they lose to their visitors having picked 50 points all season to be one of the teams on the red line.Read moreCreated Date: 10 September 2017Hist: 1139By Promise Etim Lobi Stars forward Anthony Okpotu scored in his side's visit to FC Ifeanyiubah in Nnewi to leapfrog MFM striker Stephen Odey who left the club just before the final game to the golden boot for the 2016/17 season with both players tied on 18 before kickoff on Saturday. Okpotu's quest for goals capped the opening minutes of the encounter. The striker was denied by FC Ifeanyiubah goalkeeper Traore Sory before the quarter hour mark, but Okpotu would wait till the 24th minute to...Read moreCreated Date: 09 September 2017Hist: 556By Ademola Olajire Ibrahim Babawo and Ebenezer Odeyemi starred as Niger Tornadoes played with heart and spirit and got due reward with a 2-0 win over Shooting Stars of Ibadan, who were mired in relegation waters and were expected to put up a better fight for the points at the Confluence Stadium, Lokoja. Before the match, the management and players of the Oluyole Warriors had promised a ‘fight-to’finish’ in their final game of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season in Lokoja. But...Read moreCreated Date: 09 September 2017Hist: 516By Mohammed Yusuf Suleiman It was highly unlikely MFM FC were going to get a result in Maiduguri to supplant eventual champions, Plateau United but El-Kanemi Warriors were as expected clinical in the 2-1 defeat of the ambitious Lagos side to end their dream of a surprise title win. El-Kanemi Warriors started on the front foot with Chibuzor Okonkwo's free kick wide from the edge of the box of MFM almost giving them the lead on the 3rd minute, but a touch from the wall...Read moreCreated Date: 09 September 2017Hist: 498By Clement Nwankpa Jr Plateau United defeated Rangers 2-0 at Rwang Pam Stadium, Jos to record a first ever topflight title on Saturday. Going into the game, Plateau needed a win to emerge champions irrespective of what happened in Maiduguri where second-placed MFM FC were guests of El-Kanemi. And they left nobody in doubt as to their resolve as they were on the front foot from the blast of the whistle.Read moreCreated Date: 09 September 2017Hist: 868By Fisayo Dairo Former NPFL champions Enyimba wrapped up the season in their adopted home in Calabar with a comfortable 1-0 win over Katsina United to assure themselves of a place in next year's CAF Confederation Cup. Striker Stephen Chukwude headed home the game's only goal on 10 minutes but in fairness could have been more, save for Ikechukwu Ibenegbu's romance with the opponents' cross bar in the second half.Read moreCreated Date: 09 September 2017Hist: 1517By George Akpayen Plateau United have emerged the new Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) champions after defeating Rangers 2-0 at the Rwang Pam Stadium in Jos on Saturday. The giant Emeka Umeh and Benjamin Turba got the goals that ensured the Jos club became the 19th club to win the top division in Nigeria. It was a befitting occasion for the new champions as they faced off with outgoing champions Rangers but still had to make sure of a first title with MFM FC breathing down their...Read moreCreated Date: 08 September 2017Hist: 1063By Tunde Oyedele At last the final weekend of the 2016/17 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season is here with title hopes for table-toppers and lamentations in the camp of those battling relegation, and Nasarawa United coach Kabiru Dogo intends finish the campaign on a high when they host ABS FC in Lafia on Saturday despite an underwhelming season.Read more
- Created Date: 08 September 2017Hist: 4365A broadcast production agreement was on Thursday in Abuja signed by the League Management Company (LMC) and the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) for production of matches of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL). The papers were signed by the LMC Chairman Shehu Dikko and Mallam Yakubu Ibn Muhammed, the Director General of NTA.Read moreCreated Date: 08 September 2017Hist: 971By Clement Nwankpa Jr How often have you been on transit and see inscriptions on commercial buses or trailers in Nigeria such as 'Slow and steady wins the race,' 'To be a man is not a day's job,' 'No food for a lazy man?' These are inscriptions that capture the toils and vicissitudes of life. But none can be more apt than the one that says, 'NO CONDITION IS PERMANENT.' This season has buttressed this. Three out of the top-four teams this season battled relegation last season namely Plateau...Read moreCreated Date: 07 September 2017Hist: 990By George Akpayen The most competitive championship in the World, the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL), comes to a final stop this Saturday after nine months of incredible moments trimming down the race for the title to just two teams; Plateau United and MFM FC. All season, and even before the start of the campaign, there has been a constant spin by pundits on how the title race will shape up and who will finish in the top-three or survive the drop. Now all that will come to a halt...Read moreCreated Date: 07 September 2017Hist: 811By Andrew Randa When it rains, it pours says the adage and this can be used to describe Plateau United captain Elisha Golbe. Much unheralded in his career and under the radar for a better part of it, he is on the cusp of being a Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) champion - in fact, if Plateau United can get a point against Rangers International on Sunday and MFM fail to win at El-Kanemi Warriors, Golbe will lift the trophy as captain. It will be a season of blessings for the bulky...Read moreCreated Date: 07 September 2017Hist: 1056By Clement Nwankpa Jr Unless Lobi Stars' Anthony Okpotu re-enacts Emem Eduok's 2014 form against FC Ifeanyiubah on final day, Mfon Udoh's record 23 goals in a season is on the verge of surviving a third season. In 2014, Emem Eduok, then donning the colours of Dolphins (now Rivers United), scored all six goals as Dolphins beat Nembe City 6-0. That is still a league record as no other player has scored six times in a Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) game. That feat at the time took...Read moreCreated Date: 06 September 2017Hist: 740By Wale Mustapha Ahead the last matchday of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season, Abubakar Bukola Saraki (ABS) FC coach, Henry Makinwa undertook a self-assessment of his side’s performance and rated it as successful by the team’s set objectives. He did not exactly say what that objective is or are but it is general knowledge that the club are on the brink of being relegated to the lower division with a match away to Nasarawa United.Read moreCreated Date: 06 September 2017Hist: 850By Harry Iwuala Dateline: October 2, 2016. The surge of human and vehicular traffic on the popular Ogui Road stretched to the Otigba junction coming from the left side of the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium, Enugu. It has sometime in the course of the 2015/16 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season been nicknamed the Cathedral. They were all headed to the stadium with different banners but all proclaiming ‘Rangers International, another champion.' By the end of the evening when Rangers...Read moreCreated Date: 06 September 2017Hist: 1303By Clement Nwankpa Jr Enyimba's chairman, Felix Anyansi-Agwu's countenance after Rangers forced his boys to a 1-1 draw in Enugu spoke volumes. You would expect him to be happy after news emerged that Akwa United had lost in Ibadan but he, obviously had other ideas. Shooting Stars beating Akwa thrust Enyimba into third position, needing a win of any sort against Katsina United on the last day to book a CAF Confederation Cup ticket irrespective of what happens in Uyo. That his boys got a result...Read more
- Created Date: 06 September 2017Hist: 1121By Andrew Randa Plateau United’s fairytale in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) would be complete if they get the job done over Rangers International of Enugu on the final matchday at the Rwang Pam Stadium, Jos. Not many gave Kennedy Boboye and his wards a chance at the start of the season but after putting in the leg work, the Jos-based side are unarguably the standout team of the season. Needing a win, irrespective of what happens in the game involving second-placed MFM FC at...Read moreCreated Date: 05 September 2017Hist: 925By Tunde Oyedele With a CAF Champions League ticket already in the bag, MFM FC coach Fidelis Ilechukwu says his team would push their luck further in a bid to wrest this season's Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) title from table-toppers Plateau United this weekend. However MFM FC will have to do that in one of the league's most difficult venues in Maiduguri against El-Kanemi Warriors.Read moreCreated Date: 03 September 2017Hist: 1178By Alfred Okoligwe Akwa United’s push for a second consecutive season on the continent suffered a setback in Ibadan where Shooting Stars made the most of their home ground to brighten their chances of staying in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) next season. It ended 1-0 in favour of the Oluyole Warriors, leaving the Promise Keepers one point adrift of fellow continental contenders, Enyimba International that secured a valuable point away to Rangers. The Ibadan lords knew that...Read moreCreated Date: 03 September 2017Hist: 780By Kanayo Jubal Anthony Okpotu’s 56th minute strike was all it took for Lobi Stars to break a determined Niger Tornadoes in their Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Matchday 37 encounter at the Aper Aku Stadium, Makurdi, on Sunday evening. Okpotu is now on same number of goals, 18, with Stephen Odey. The two men are now joint leading scorers in the league.Read moreCreated Date: 03 September 2017Hist: 1091By Yemi Kosoko For the second game in two straight matchdays, Plateau United blew their chance to be crowned champions before the conclusion of the season, going down 1-0 to relegation-threatened Wikki Tourists in Bauchi. The Plateau side, on the verge of winning a historic title, lost the first opportunity to retain a firm grip on the trophy on Matchday 36 in front of their fans at the Rwang Pam Stadium in Jos, where they scored with a last gasp effort to draw 1-1 with...Read moreCreated Date: 03 September 2017Hist: 1042By Blessing Fowowe Kelechi Ogoh was the hero of the day as Sunshine Stars defeated FC Ifeanyiubah in a Matchday 37 clash of the NPFL at the Otunba Dipo Dina Stadium, Ijebu-Ode. Ogoh replaced Nojeem Raji in the starting line-up after Raji picked up as knock in warm-up. Three goals in the second half and one in the first half was enough to ensure that Sunshine Stars pick all three points in a one-sided encounter.Read moreCreated Date: 03 September 2017Hist: 799By Tola Badekale A brace from Bernard Ovoke and another goal by Bolaji Sakin for Rivers United ensured that the Rivers club romp to a three-nil over Gombe United at the Yakubu Gowon Stadium, Port Harcourt and effectively brought to an end their opponents' time in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL). The drizzles that welcomed the players to the Yakubu Gowon Stadium pitch made for cool conditions, however the match was anything but Gombe United flattered at times but Rivers United...Read moreCreated Date: 02 September 2017Hist: 1631By George Akpayen The countdown begins to the end of a memorable Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) with the penultimate matchday that throws up very intriguing contests across the country including an Oriental Derby that could determine the fate of two-time African champions Enyimba's ambition of qualifying for CAF competitions.Read more
- Created Date: 01 September 2017Hist: 983By George Akpayen Enyimba midfielder Ikechukwu Ibenegbu has told npfl.ng that his brief visit to the Ultra Modern Motherless Babies Dormitory in Calabar, Cross River State has opened his eyes to life outside of football and has spurred him on to give his best in his team's remaining matches in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL). Ibenegbu's goal from a well-taken free kick on Matchday 30 was voted the best ahead of goals by Nasarawa United's Adamu Hassan and Martin Usule of...Read moreCreated Date: 30 August 2017Hist: 1310By Promise Etim Struggling Shooting Stars Sports Club (3SC) pulled off a big result against El-Kanemi Warriors in Maiduguri when they got a spectacular 1-1 draw on Matchday 36 through Abayomi Adebayo's late goal. The Borno club were running away with all three points until Abayomi scored with the last kick of the match that led to the two sides sharing the spoils.Read moreCreated Date: 30 August 2017Hist: 1213By Uchenna Iyoke Kano Pillars midfielder Rabiu Ali became the latest player to participate in the ‘Play with Compassion’ charity theme of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) anchored on the VAT Wonder Goal award. Winners of the VAT Wonder Goal which is supported by the Federal Inland Revenue Services (FIRS) nominate and visit charity organizations which receive half of the N150,000 prize money attached to the award.Read moreCreated Date: 30 August 2017Hist: 892By Harry Iwuala Stanley Eguma, the Rivers United manager is smiling once again and talking. It has been a long time coming for the ebullient coach who is used to granting expansive post-match reviews. From title contenders till the last day of last season, he had watched Rivers United complete a near full circle to become relegation survivors, two matches to complete the ongoing 2016/17 season.Read moreCreated Date: 29 August 2017Hist: 1256Enyimba coach Gbenga Ogunbote has not hidden his desire to lead the Peoples Elephant to a victory in their Matchday 37 fixture of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) at outgoing champions Rangers International this Sunday.Read moreCreated Date: 27 August 2017Hist: 1351By Ademola Olajire Usual suspect Adamu Hassan’s close–range header, about the last move of the first half, was the difference as Nasarawa United mined three precious points and condemned Kano Pillars to a second painful defeat in three days. The big news before the match was how 'Sai Masu Gida' were working hard to pick up morale from the floor after a stunning penalty shootout defeat to lower league team Yobe Desert Stars in their AITEO Cup round of 64 clash in...Read moreCreated Date: 27 August 2017Hist: 1208By Fisayo Dairo MFM FC coach Fidelis Ilechukwu insists the title race is still wide open after his side succumbed to a 0-1 loss at Abia Warriors in their penultimate away game of the Nigeria Professional Football League. Midfielder Arinze Nwangwu ghosted behind the defence to head home Sherif Bashir's free kick with 23 minutes left at the Umuahia Township Stadium as he thrusted a further spear into MFM's waning title aspirations.Read moreCreated Date: 27 August 2017Hist: 1434By Promise Etim Matchday 36 produced stunning results, as Plateau United closed in further on their first ever Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) trophy, despite sharing the spoils at home against Rivers United. MFM FC again fluffed the opportunity to extend the title fight to the end when they succumbed to Abia Warriors in Umuahia thus extending their poor away form. But it was the defending champions, Rangers that put up a spirited performance to stay up in the top flight with a...Read more
- Created Date: 26 August 2017Hist: 1439Seven-time Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) winners Enyimba will play hosts to relegation-threatened Wikki Tourists at the UJ Esuene Stadium on Sunday as they seek to keep up their chase for a place in the top-three. With three games to play, the Peoples Elephant are three points behind third-place Akwa United, albeit having played a game less. With their rivals having secured a 2-1 win on Friday over Lobi Stars, the focus now turns inevitably to Calabar.Read moreCreated Date: 26 August 2017Hist: 1369By China Acheru Enugu Rangers coach, Chukwuma Agbo has laughed off suggestions that his club may be relegation threatened. Rangers have struggled for most of the season in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) but Agbo insists that rather than think of a relegation dog fight they have bigger dreams.Read moreCreated Date: 25 August 2017Hist: 1394By Sanipe Damiete Akwa United beat hard-fighting Lobi Stars 2-1 in a keenly contested Matchday 36 fixture in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) at the Uyo Township Stadium on Friday. With three games to go and stiff competition for continental spots especially from Enyimba on same point, Akwa United knew they needed not make any mistake as they started the brighter of the two sides.Read moreCreated Date: 25 August 2017Hist: 910By George Akpayen The Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) has entertained its followers with breathtaking outcomes in the past 35 matchdays and by the end of this weekend, the number of matchdays would have been trimmed to just two. It means the teams in the race for the title, continental places and survival will have run out of games in their aspirations thereby separating the men from the boys. Already we have had some memorable moments including shock results amid celebration and pain....Read moreCreated Date: 25 August 2017Hist: 1141By Promise Etim Plateau United are now regarded as champions-elect, with three matches to wrap up the current Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) campaign, as seven points from a possible nine could see the Jos-based side clinch their first ever league title, save for any unlikely mishaps on Matchdays 36 and 37. With Kennedy Boboye in the driving seat, the major talking point at the moment is hinged on who finishes second and third respectively in what could potentially be an amazing end...Read moreCreated Date: 24 August 2017Hist: 998By Andrew Randa For the average fan of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL), the title race is basically between the top two teams - Plateau United and MFM FC - while some might have just handed it to the Jos-based side. One person, who does not belong to any of the school of thought is Olorunleke Ojo, first-choice goalkeeper for Akwa United who are in third place on the NPFL log.Read moreCreated Date: 24 August 2017Hist: 1046League leaders, Plateau United produced their very first VAT Wonder Goal award winner in Emmanuel Odafe who narrowly beat Nojeem Raji of Sunshine Stars in one of the tight races witnessed since the award was re-introduced by the League Management Company (LMC) at the start of the second stanza of the 2016/17 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL).Read moreCreated Date: 22 August 2017Hist: 994By George Akpayen Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) veteran Nojeem Raji is hopeful that his club Sunshine Stars will keep their place in the top division despite having relegation worries. Sunshine Stars are among nine clubs still sitting precariously just above the drop zone and Raji explained to npfl.ng that things have looked brighter for his club in recent matchdays since Duke Udi took charge as head coach following the departure of Austin Eguavoen in June.Read more
- Created Date: 21 August 2017Hist: 907By Ishaku Kigbu Wikki Tourists winger Richard Jonathan could not hold back his happiness after scoring the insurance goal that ensured his club ran out 2-0 winners against relegated Remo Stars in a Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) match on Sunday. Jonathan had scored in the first meeting between his team and Remo Stars at the Gateway Stadium, Sagamu when they lost 2-1. His goal in that fixture temporarily put score at 1-1 before Victor Mbaoma popped up with the winner from the spot...Read moreCreated Date: 21 August 2017Hist: 1153By Clement Nwankpa Jr Results of Matchday 35 in the NPFL did little to dispel uncertainties surrounding the fortunes of the clubs. Plateau United's lead was cut down to three just as the battle for continental tickets and survival got fiercer. Here are 10 key talking points from Matchday 35...Read more
NPFL MATCHDAY 38
NPFL League Table
Photo Gallery : Football Action
LMC News Update
- Created Date: 12 July 2017•Tornadoes lose bid for Boardroom Points Reprieve came for Kano Pillars and Sunshine Stars as the...Read more