By Fisayo Daro
Rivers United's starlets on Tuesday opened their NPFL Under-15 Promises account with a 3-0 victory over tournament's whipping boys Abia Warriors at the Owerri centre.
Having been drawn bye on the opening day of the competition, the young boys from Port Harcourt produced a disciplined performance to outclass their opponents. Striker Kenneth Clinton scored the game's opener in the 28th minute when he latched on to a deep free kick by his captain Favour Arojameh to finish calmly beyond the goalkeeper.
Clinton got his brace with just seconds into the second half through a close range finish after Warriors goalkeeper, Kingsley Onyebuchi parried his initial effort into his path.
The baby Warriors from Umuahia had a chance to come back into the game but captain Chukwudi Igbokwe saw his penalty saved by Rivers goalkeeper Joseph Bright five minutes into the second half before Rivers sealed the game off on 68 minutes.
Clinton turned provider for his team's third when he squared for Felix Ojuah after beating his marker for pace. The midfielder graciously tapping into an empty net.
After the match, Rivers United U15 coach, Sunny Isohkwema described the result as a good one for him.
"It was a fairly comfortable victory and I'm happy we got the win due to the challenge we had in raising a team," began the former Sharks FC assistant coach.
"When you are coaching young players, you (as a coach) have to help them to play. Sometimes they are anxious and over zealous but overall, it was a good result for us." he added.
In Tuesday's other game, Akwa United maintained top spot in Group A after a hard fought 1-0 win over Enyimba.
Young striker Elisha Jonah scored the only goal of the game ten minutes from time when he headed home Archibong Archibong's free kick. Jonah thus took his goals tally to four in two games as the Baby Elephants from Aba suffer a second straight loss in the tournament.
Enyimba Under-15 captain Samuel Francis has still not given up hopes of his side's qualification from the group Owerri centre.
"I believe we still have a good chance to progress. We just have to defend better and attack well so we can score goals. I believe we can still qualify," said Francise whose idol is former Enyimba captain Chinedu Udoji.
The young centre back also thanked the organizers for the opportunity that the NPFL U15 Promises avails them of.
"I am very happy to be playing in this competition. I must say thank you to the LMC for this future Promises tournament. You can see it is the first time most of us are playing this tournament so we say thank you to them." added the SS1 student of Heritage International School, Osusu-amukwa Aba.
NPFL CLUB NEWS
- Created Date: 19 September 2017Hist: 172By George Akpayen The cameras and lights are out. The champions have emerged after 380 matches in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) and the four for the drop will by now start preparing for life in the second tier. However, the season has produced some very interesting numbers, or statistics. Npfl.ng looks back at some of those stats.Read moreCreated Date: 18 September 2017Hist: 68By George Akpayen The Super Eagles defeated the Black Stars of Ghana 2-0 in their last group game at the Cape Coast Stadium to seal passage into the last four at the Wafu Cup of Nations on Monday. Salisu Yusuf’s men needed four odd minutes in the second half to put the bed and beyond their Ghanaian opponents as Anthony Okpotu and Peter Eneji scored the goals.Read moreCreated Date: 17 September 2017Hist: 659By Andrew Randa After 38 matchdays, the 2016/17 Nigeria Professional Football League came to a climax with Plateau United lifting the title after defeating Rangers International of Enugu 2-0 at the Rwang Pam Stadium. Goals from Emeka Umeh and Benjamin Turba made sure there was daylight between the Jos side and MFM FC who eventually lost a game they needed to win to have any chance to upstaging Plateau United.Read moreCreated Date: 16 September 2017Hist: 518By Uchenna Iyoke Wikki Tourists cemented their top flight status with a 2-0 win over relegated Gombe United at the El-Kanemi Sports Complex, Maiduguri. Abubakar Lawal rose highest to nod home from close range a delivery by Harrison Madu in the 36th minute. Maurice Chigozie had earlier scored an goal in the abandoned game at the Pantami Stadium just about a week ago to put the Bauchi side ahead.Read moreCreated Date: 13 September 2017Hist: 816FIFA President Gianni Infantino has felicitated with the players, technical crew, management, backroom staff and supporters of Plateau United FC of Jos over the club’s emergence on Saturday as new champions of the Nigeria Professional Football League. The Jos–based club defeated last season’s champions Enugu Rangers 2-0 to amass 66 points and scoop their first–ever Nigerian championship in front of delirious home fans at the Rwang Pam Stadium.Read moreCreated Date: 10 September 2017Hist: 847By George Akpayen Enyimba coach Gbenga Ogunbote has stated that he was always confident before the start of the 2016/17 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season that his team will finish in top-three position. He explained that he had that self-belief that he had assembled a decent playing personnel to achieve that objective and clinch a place to play in one of CAF club competitions, the Confederation Cup.Read moreCreated Date: 10 September 2017Hist: 736By Janefrances Nweze Ndifreke Effiong scored twice in Abia Warriors' 4-1 steam-rolling of Rivers United in one of 10 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) final day fixtures on Saturday. Abia Warriors coach, Abdullahi Biffo came into the game with the fear of going down if they lose to their visitors having picked 50 points all season to be one of the teams on the red line.Read moreCreated Date: 10 September 2017Hist: 1120By Promise Etim Lobi Stars forward Anthony Okpotu scored in his side's visit to FC Ifeanyiubah in Nnewi to leapfrog MFM striker Stephen Odey who left the club just before the final game to the golden boot for the 2016/17 season with both players tied on 18 before kickoff on Saturday. Okpotu's quest for goals capped the opening minutes of the encounter. The striker was denied by FC Ifeanyiubah goalkeeper Traore Sory before the quarter hour mark, but Okpotu would wait till the 24th minute to...Read more
- Created Date: 09 September 2017Hist: 547By Ademola Olajire Ibrahim Babawo and Ebenezer Odeyemi starred as Niger Tornadoes played with heart and spirit and got due reward with a 2-0 win over Shooting Stars of Ibadan, who were mired in relegation waters and were expected to put up a better fight for the points at the Confluence Stadium, Lokoja. Before the match, the management and players of the Oluyole Warriors had promised a ‘fight-to’finish’ in their final game of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season in Lokoja. But...Read moreCreated Date: 09 September 2017Hist: 510By Mohammed Yusuf Suleiman It was highly unlikely MFM FC were going to get a result in Maiduguri to supplant eventual champions, Plateau United but El-Kanemi Warriors were as expected clinical in the 2-1 defeat of the ambitious Lagos side to end their dream of a surprise title win. El-Kanemi Warriors started on the front foot with Chibuzor Okonkwo's free kick wide from the edge of the box of MFM almost giving them the lead on the 3rd minute, but a touch from the wall...Read moreCreated Date: 09 September 2017Hist: 494By Clement Nwankpa Jr Plateau United defeated Rangers 2-0 at Rwang Pam Stadium, Jos to record a first ever topflight title on Saturday. Going into the game, Plateau needed a win to emerge champions irrespective of what happened in Maiduguri where second-placed MFM FC were guests of El-Kanemi. And they left nobody in doubt as to their resolve as they were on the front foot from the blast of the whistle.Read moreCreated Date: 09 September 2017Hist: 860By Fisayo Dairo Former NPFL champions Enyimba wrapped up the season in their adopted home in Calabar with a comfortable 1-0 win over Katsina United to assure themselves of a place in next year's CAF Confederation Cup. Striker Stephen Chukwude headed home the game's only goal on 10 minutes but in fairness could have been more, save for Ikechukwu Ibenegbu's romance with the opponents' cross bar in the second half.Read moreCreated Date: 09 September 2017Hist: 1509By George Akpayen Plateau United have emerged the new Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) champions after defeating Rangers 2-0 at the Rwang Pam Stadium in Jos on Saturday. The giant Emeka Umeh and Benjamin Turba got the goals that ensured the Jos club became the 19th club to win the top division in Nigeria. It was a befitting occasion for the new champions as they faced off with outgoing champions Rangers but still had to make sure of a first title with MFM FC breathing down their...Read moreCreated Date: 08 September 2017Hist: 1054By Tunde Oyedele At last the final weekend of the 2016/17 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season is here with title hopes for table-toppers and lamentations in the camp of those battling relegation, and Nasarawa United coach Kabiru Dogo intends finish the campaign on a high when they host ABS FC in Lafia on Saturday despite an underwhelming season.Read moreCreated Date: 08 September 2017Hist: 4170A broadcast production agreement was on Thursday in Abuja signed by the League Management Company (LMC) and the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) for production of matches of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL). The papers were signed by the LMC Chairman Shehu Dikko and Mallam Yakubu Ibn Muhammed, the Director General of NTA.Read moreCreated Date: 08 September 2017Hist: 962By Clement Nwankpa Jr How often have you been on transit and see inscriptions on commercial buses or trailers in Nigeria such as 'Slow and steady wins the race,' 'To be a man is not a day's job,' 'No food for a lazy man?' These are inscriptions that capture the toils and vicissitudes of life. But none can be more apt than the one that says, 'NO CONDITION IS PERMANENT.' This season has buttressed this. Three out of the top-four teams this season battled relegation last season namely Plateau...Read more
- Created Date: 07 September 2017Hist: 981By George Akpayen The most competitive championship in the World, the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL), comes to a final stop this Saturday after nine months of incredible moments trimming down the race for the title to just two teams; Plateau United and MFM FC. All season, and even before the start of the campaign, there has been a constant spin by pundits on how the title race will shape up and who will finish in the top-three or survive the drop. Now all that will come to a halt...Read moreCreated Date: 07 September 2017Hist: 805By Andrew Randa When it rains, it pours says the adage and this can be used to describe Plateau United captain Elisha Golbe. Much unheralded in his career and under the radar for a better part of it, he is on the cusp of being a Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) champion - in fact, if Plateau United can get a point against Rangers International on Sunday and MFM fail to win at El-Kanemi Warriors, Golbe will lift the trophy as captain. It will be a season of blessings for the bulky...Read moreCreated Date: 07 September 2017Hist: 1049By Clement Nwankpa Jr Unless Lobi Stars' Anthony Okpotu re-enacts Emem Eduok's 2014 form against FC Ifeanyiubah on final day, Mfon Udoh's record 23 goals in a season is on the verge of surviving a third season. In 2014, Emem Eduok, then donning the colours of Dolphins (now Rivers United), scored all six goals as Dolphins beat Nembe City 6-0. That is still a league record as no other player has scored six times in a Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) game. That feat at the time took...Read moreCreated Date: 06 September 2017Hist: 735By Wale Mustapha Ahead the last matchday of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season, Abubakar Bukola Saraki (ABS) FC coach, Henry Makinwa undertook a self-assessment of his side’s performance and rated it as successful by the team’s set objectives. He did not exactly say what that objective is or are but it is general knowledge that the club are on the brink of being relegated to the lower division with a match away to Nasarawa United.Read moreCreated Date: 06 September 2017Hist: 845By Harry Iwuala Dateline: October 2, 2016. The surge of human and vehicular traffic on the popular Ogui Road stretched to the Otigba junction coming from the left side of the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium, Enugu. It has sometime in the course of the 2015/16 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season been nicknamed the Cathedral. They were all headed to the stadium with different banners but all proclaiming ‘Rangers International, another champion.' By the end of the evening when Rangers...Read moreCreated Date: 06 September 2017Hist: 1295By Clement Nwankpa Jr Enyimba's chairman, Felix Anyansi-Agwu's countenance after Rangers forced his boys to a 1-1 draw in Enugu spoke volumes. You would expect him to be happy after news emerged that Akwa United had lost in Ibadan but he, obviously had other ideas. Shooting Stars beating Akwa thrust Enyimba into third position, needing a win of any sort against Katsina United on the last day to book a CAF Confederation Cup ticket irrespective of what happens in Uyo. That his boys got a result...Read moreCreated Date: 06 September 2017Hist: 1112By Andrew Randa Plateau United’s fairytale in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) would be complete if they get the job done over Rangers International of Enugu on the final matchday at the Rwang Pam Stadium, Jos. Not many gave Kennedy Boboye and his wards a chance at the start of the season but after putting in the leg work, the Jos-based side are unarguably the standout team of the season. Needing a win, irrespective of what happens in the game involving second-placed MFM FC at...Read moreCreated Date: 05 September 2017Hist: 919By Tunde Oyedele With a CAF Champions League ticket already in the bag, MFM FC coach Fidelis Ilechukwu says his team would push their luck further in a bid to wrest this season's Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) title from table-toppers Plateau United this weekend. However MFM FC will have to do that in one of the league's most difficult venues in Maiduguri against El-Kanemi Warriors.Read more
- Created Date: 03 September 2017Hist: 1173By Alfred Okoligwe Akwa United’s push for a second consecutive season on the continent suffered a setback in Ibadan where Shooting Stars made the most of their home ground to brighten their chances of staying in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) next season. It ended 1-0 in favour of the Oluyole Warriors, leaving the Promise Keepers one point adrift of fellow continental contenders, Enyimba International that secured a valuable point away to Rangers. The Ibadan lords knew that...Read moreCreated Date: 03 September 2017Hist: 775By Kanayo Jubal Anthony Okpotu’s 56th minute strike was all it took for Lobi Stars to break a determined Niger Tornadoes in their Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Matchday 37 encounter at the Aper Aku Stadium, Makurdi, on Sunday evening. Okpotu is now on same number of goals, 18, with Stephen Odey. The two men are now joint leading scorers in the league.Read moreCreated Date: 03 September 2017Hist: 1084By Yemi Kosoko For the second game in two straight matchdays, Plateau United blew their chance to be crowned champions before the conclusion of the season, going down 1-0 to relegation-threatened Wikki Tourists in Bauchi. The Plateau side, on the verge of winning a historic title, lost the first opportunity to retain a firm grip on the trophy on Matchday 36 in front of their fans at the Rwang Pam Stadium in Jos, where they scored with a last gasp effort to draw 1-1 with...Read moreCreated Date: 03 September 2017Hist: 1037By Blessing Fowowe Kelechi Ogoh was the hero of the day as Sunshine Stars defeated FC Ifeanyiubah in a Matchday 37 clash of the NPFL at the Otunba Dipo Dina Stadium, Ijebu-Ode. Ogoh replaced Nojeem Raji in the starting line-up after Raji picked up as knock in warm-up. Three goals in the second half and one in the first half was enough to ensure that Sunshine Stars pick all three points in a one-sided encounter.Read moreCreated Date: 03 September 2017Hist: 796By Tola Badekale A brace from Bernard Ovoke and another goal by Bolaji Sakin for Rivers United ensured that the Rivers club romp to a three-nil over Gombe United at the Yakubu Gowon Stadium, Port Harcourt and effectively brought to an end their opponents' time in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL). The drizzles that welcomed the players to the Yakubu Gowon Stadium pitch made for cool conditions, however the match was anything but Gombe United flattered at times but Rivers United...Read moreCreated Date: 02 September 2017Hist: 1621By George Akpayen The countdown begins to the end of a memorable Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) with the penultimate matchday that throws up very intriguing contests across the country including an Oriental Derby that could determine the fate of two-time African champions Enyimba's ambition of qualifying for CAF competitions.Read moreCreated Date: 01 September 2017Hist: 978By George Akpayen Enyimba midfielder Ikechukwu Ibenegbu has told npfl.ng that his brief visit to the Ultra Modern Motherless Babies Dormitory in Calabar, Cross River State has opened his eyes to life outside of football and has spurred him on to give his best in his team's remaining matches in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL). Ibenegbu's goal from a well-taken free kick on Matchday 30 was voted the best ahead of goals by Nasarawa United's Adamu Hassan and Martin Usule of...Read moreCreated Date: 30 August 2017Hist: 1307By Promise Etim Struggling Shooting Stars Sports Club (3SC) pulled off a big result against El-Kanemi Warriors in Maiduguri when they got a spectacular 1-1 draw on Matchday 36 through Abayomi Adebayo's late goal. The Borno club were running away with all three points until Abayomi scored with the last kick of the match that led to the two sides sharing the spoils.Read more
- Created Date: 30 August 2017Hist: 1209By Uchenna Iyoke Kano Pillars midfielder Rabiu Ali became the latest player to participate in the ‘Play with Compassion’ charity theme of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) anchored on the VAT Wonder Goal award. Winners of the VAT Wonder Goal which is supported by the Federal Inland Revenue Services (FIRS) nominate and visit charity organizations which receive half of the N150,000 prize money attached to the award.Read moreCreated Date: 30 August 2017Hist: 889By Harry Iwuala Stanley Eguma, the Rivers United manager is smiling once again and talking. It has been a long time coming for the ebullient coach who is used to granting expansive post-match reviews. From title contenders till the last day of last season, he had watched Rivers United complete a near full circle to become relegation survivors, two matches to complete the ongoing 2016/17 season.Read moreCreated Date: 29 August 2017Hist: 1252Enyimba coach Gbenga Ogunbote has not hidden his desire to lead the Peoples Elephant to a victory in their Matchday 37 fixture of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) at outgoing champions Rangers International this Sunday.Read moreCreated Date: 27 August 2017Hist: 1345By Ademola Olajire Usual suspect Adamu Hassan’s close–range header, about the last move of the first half, was the difference as Nasarawa United mined three precious points and condemned Kano Pillars to a second painful defeat in three days. The big news before the match was how 'Sai Masu Gida' were working hard to pick up morale from the floor after a stunning penalty shootout defeat to lower league team Yobe Desert Stars in their AITEO Cup round of 64 clash in...Read moreCreated Date: 27 August 2017Hist: 1202By Fisayo Dairo MFM FC coach Fidelis Ilechukwu insists the title race is still wide open after his side succumbed to a 0-1 loss at Abia Warriors in their penultimate away game of the Nigeria Professional Football League. Midfielder Arinze Nwangwu ghosted behind the defence to head home Sherif Bashir's free kick with 23 minutes left at the Umuahia Township Stadium as he thrusted a further spear into MFM's waning title aspirations.Read moreCreated Date: 27 August 2017Hist: 1426By Promise Etim Matchday 36 produced stunning results, as Plateau United closed in further on their first ever Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) trophy, despite sharing the spoils at home against Rivers United. MFM FC again fluffed the opportunity to extend the title fight to the end when they succumbed to Abia Warriors in Umuahia thus extending their poor away form. But it was the defending champions, Rangers that put up a spirited performance to stay up in the top flight with a...Read moreCreated Date: 26 August 2017Hist: 1434Seven-time Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) winners Enyimba will play hosts to relegation-threatened Wikki Tourists at the UJ Esuene Stadium on Sunday as they seek to keep up their chase for a place in the top-three. With three games to play, the Peoples Elephant are three points behind third-place Akwa United, albeit having played a game less. With their rivals having secured a 2-1 win on Friday over Lobi Stars, the focus now turns inevitably to Calabar.Read moreCreated Date: 26 August 2017Hist: 1361By China Acheru Enugu Rangers coach, Chukwuma Agbo has laughed off suggestions that his club may be relegation threatened. Rangers have struggled for most of the season in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) but Agbo insists that rather than think of a relegation dog fight they have bigger dreams.Read more
- Created Date: 25 August 2017Hist: 1387By Sanipe Damiete Akwa United beat hard-fighting Lobi Stars 2-1 in a keenly contested Matchday 36 fixture in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) at the Uyo Township Stadium on Friday. With three games to go and stiff competition for continental spots especially from Enyimba on same point, Akwa United knew they needed not make any mistake as they started the brighter of the two sides.Read moreCreated Date: 25 August 2017Hist: 905By George Akpayen The Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) has entertained its followers with breathtaking outcomes in the past 35 matchdays and by the end of this weekend, the number of matchdays would have been trimmed to just two. It means the teams in the race for the title, continental places and survival will have run out of games in their aspirations thereby separating the men from the boys. Already we have had some memorable moments including shock results amid celebration and pain....Read moreCreated Date: 25 August 2017Hist: 1136By Promise Etim Plateau United are now regarded as champions-elect, with three matches to wrap up the current Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) campaign, as seven points from a possible nine could see the Jos-based side clinch their first ever league title, save for any unlikely mishaps on Matchdays 36 and 37. With Kennedy Boboye in the driving seat, the major talking point at the moment is hinged on who finishes second and third respectively in what could potentially be an amazing end...Read moreCreated Date: 24 August 2017Hist: 995By Andrew Randa For the average fan of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL), the title race is basically between the top two teams - Plateau United and MFM FC - while some might have just handed it to the Jos-based side. One person, who does not belong to any of the school of thought is Olorunleke Ojo, first-choice goalkeeper for Akwa United who are in third place on the NPFL log.Read moreCreated Date: 24 August 2017Hist: 1039League leaders, Plateau United produced their very first VAT Wonder Goal award winner in Emmanuel Odafe who narrowly beat Nojeem Raji of Sunshine Stars in one of the tight races witnessed since the award was re-introduced by the League Management Company (LMC) at the start of the second stanza of the 2016/17 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL).Read moreCreated Date: 22 August 2017Hist: 988By George Akpayen Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) veteran Nojeem Raji is hopeful that his club Sunshine Stars will keep their place in the top division despite having relegation worries. Sunshine Stars are among nine clubs still sitting precariously just above the drop zone and Raji explained to npfl.ng that things have looked brighter for his club in recent matchdays since Duke Udi took charge as head coach following the departure of Austin Eguavoen in June.Read moreCreated Date: 21 August 2017Hist: 901By Ishaku Kigbu Wikki Tourists winger Richard Jonathan could not hold back his happiness after scoring the insurance goal that ensured his club ran out 2-0 winners against relegated Remo Stars in a Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) match on Sunday. Jonathan had scored in the first meeting between his team and Remo Stars at the Gateway Stadium, Sagamu when they lost 2-1. His goal in that fixture temporarily put score at 1-1 before Victor Mbaoma popped up with the winner from the spot...Read moreCreated Date: 21 August 2017Hist: 1149By Clement Nwankpa Jr Results of Matchday 35 in the NPFL did little to dispel uncertainties surrounding the fortunes of the clubs. Plateau United's lead was cut down to three just as the battle for continental tickets and survival got fiercer. Here are 10 key talking points from Matchday 35...Read more
- Created Date: 20 August 2017Hist: 918By China Acheru Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Rangers faced tough opposition, lost a lead within a minute but rallied back to win 2-1 at home to Katsina United in one of Sunday's Matchday 35 games. The Flying Antelopes opened scores in the 44th minute when Chinedu Udeagha’s free kick was headed onto the path of Chibuzor Madu. Madu took his time to pick his spot and then blasted into the top side of the post but the celebrations were short-lived.Read moreCreated Date: 20 August 2017Hist: 1115By Onukogu Kanyochuqu Jubal One of the Nigeria Professional Football League's sharpshooters, Anthony Okpotu, scored thrice for Lobi to edge El-Kanemi Warriors 3-2 in a Matchday 35 encounter at the Aper Aku Stadium on Sunday. Though El-Kanemi Warriors came close to doing much damage in the latter stages of the game – no thanks to Lobi’s shabby defending – the game began with the hosts showing their intent and running at their gob-smacked foes. In the third minute, Ebube Duru, who would later...Read more
NPFL MATCHDAY 38
NPFL League Table
Photo Gallery : Football Action
LMC News Update
- Created Date: 12 July 2017•Tornadoes lose bid for Boardroom Points Reprieve came for Kano Pillars and Sunshine Stars as the...Read more