By Fisayo Daro
Rivers United's starlets on Tuesday opened their NPFL Under-15 Promises account with a 3-0 victory over tournament's whipping boys Abia Warriors at the Owerri centre.
Having been drawn bye on the opening day of the competition, the young boys from Port Harcourt produced a disciplined performance to outclass their opponents. Striker Kenneth Clinton scored the game's opener in the 28th minute when he latched on to a deep free kick by his captain Favour Arojameh to finish calmly beyond the goalkeeper.
Clinton got his brace with just seconds into the second half through a close range finish after Warriors goalkeeper, Kingsley Onyebuchi parried his initial effort into his path.
The baby Warriors from Umuahia had a chance to come back into the game but captain Chukwudi Igbokwe saw his penalty saved by Rivers goalkeeper Joseph Bright five minutes into the second half before Rivers sealed the game off on 68 minutes.
Clinton turned provider for his team's third when he squared for Felix Ojuah after beating his marker for pace. The midfielder graciously tapping into an empty net.
After the match, Rivers United U15 coach, Sunny Isohkwema described the result as a good one for him.
"It was a fairly comfortable victory and I'm happy we got the win due to the challenge we had in raising a team," began the former Sharks FC assistant coach.
"When you are coaching young players, you (as a coach) have to help them to play. Sometimes they are anxious and over zealous but overall, it was a good result for us." he added.
In Tuesday's other game, Akwa United maintained top spot in Group A after a hard fought 1-0 win over Enyimba.
Young striker Elisha Jonah scored the only goal of the game ten minutes from time when he headed home Archibong Archibong's free kick. Jonah thus took his goals tally to four in two games as the Baby Elephants from Aba suffer a second straight loss in the tournament.
Enyimba Under-15 captain Samuel Francis has still not given up hopes of his side's qualification from the group Owerri centre.
"I believe we still have a good chance to progress. We just have to defend better and attack well so we can score goals. I believe we can still qualify," said Francise whose idol is former Enyimba captain Chinedu Udoji.
The young centre back also thanked the organizers for the opportunity that the NPFL U15 Promises avails them of.
"I am very happy to be playing in this competition. I must say thank you to the LMC for this future Promises tournament. You can see it is the first time most of us are playing this tournament so we say thank you to them." added the SS1 student of Heritage International School, Osusu-amukwa Aba.
NPFL CLUB NEWS
- Created Date: 28 May 2017Hist: 808By China Acheru Godwin Obaje scored a goal in each half to hand his club, FC Ifeanyiubah a comfortable 2-0 win over Kano Pillars on Sunday. In the 13th minute, Godwin Obaje connected a low cross from King Osanga and his carefully weighted shot found the top left corner for the first goal of the game.Read moreCreated Date: 28 May 2017Hist: 642By Sanipe Damiete Abia Warriors put up a scintillating performance to beat Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) defending champions Rangers International 4-0 and complete the double over their Oriental rivals on Sunday. Obi Samson, Anthony Okemmiri and Sunday Adetunji with a brace all found their names on the score sheet as they made light work of the Flying Antelopes that seem lost in the forest as they fail to find their swiftness on the day.Read moreCreated Date: 28 May 2017Hist: 698The Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) enters its 21st matchday after the first matchday of the second round produced shock results. However four of the league's stars are on international duties, a number of suspension and the battle for the leadership and relegation on the cards. All ten games will take place on Sunday with FC Ifeanyiubah versus Kano Pillars in focus. Four of the league's top performers are on international duties with the Super Eagles. Stephen Odey, Alhassan...Read moreCreated Date: 27 May 2017Hist: 1070Latching on to the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) regulations to promote youth football, Henry Makinwa, coach of ABS FC, has listed 18-year-old Chidi Ogbodo in the club's squad list for the Matchday 21 fixture in Uyo against Akwa United on Sunday. Makinwa, one of the new generation coaches in the league said he has listed the teenager because the future of the club belongs to the youths.Read moreCreated Date: 26 May 2017Hist: 868The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) alongside the League Management Company (LMC) have consummated a multi-faceted strategic agreement in general football development with the Football Federation and Premier League body of the Kingdom of Morocco.Read moreCreated Date: 26 May 2017Hist: 672•Sanctions Rangers, Sunshine for breaches•Rangers fan, Baba Agu banned from NPFL matches•Sunshine Welfare Dept Staff, Rafiu Yusuf banned•Both clubs placed on suspended 3 points deduction notice Following a review of incidences that occurred during and after Match Day 20 fixtures in Enugu and Akure, the home sides, Rangers International and Sunshine Stars have been sanctioned by the League Management Company (LMC) which said the severe punishments are as a result of the two clubs being...Read moreCreated Date: 26 May 2017Hist: 501By Wale Mustapha Abubakar Chindo has urged his club ABS FC to build on their first round performance in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) to cap a wonderful return to the top division. ABS FC gained promotion to the apex league in Nigeria for the second time in the 2016/17 league campaign after they were relegated to the second tier division three seasons ago.Read moreCreated Date: 25 May 2017Hist: 822By China Acheru Attacking winger Sikiru Olatunbosun has sensationally revealed that he once used to play organised baseball before he made a shift to football. Olatunbosun who now plays for Lagos-based MFM FC told npfl.ng that it was the lack of popularity in baseball that made him switch to the more illustrious football.Read more
- Created Date: 24 May 2017Hist: 1111By Fisayo Dairo Rangers left it late to secure victory over troubled Gombe United in Sunday's Match Day 20 encounter in Enugu. It took the brilliant intervention of home boy Ebuka Okeke to score the game's winner after 93 minutes to send the home fans celebrating. Godwin Aguda had replied Waheed Afolabi's shocking opener for the visitors in first half stoppage time but with both teams poised to end another tumultuous clash in stalemate just like in the reverse fixture in Gombe, substitute...Read moreCreated Date: 24 May 2017Hist: 590The Kwara Football Academy (KFA) has announced scholarship awards to two products of the football school who were in the squad that played and won the inaugural NPFL Under-15 Promises with Abubakar Bukola Saraki (ABS) Ilorin FC U-15 team. The two players are William Oni and Christopher Omomeji. The Kwara State Commissioner for Sports and Youth Development, Kale Ayo, announced the scholarship on Tuesday during a reception organised by the academy for the players. Ayo said the state governor...Read moreCreated Date: 24 May 2017Hist: 577Nigeria’s lone survivor in Caf’s interclub competition, Rivers United have returned to reckoning in the CAF Confederation Cup after recording a 1-0 win over Moroccan club, Faith Union de Sportive (FUS) Rabat on Wednesday. Emeka Atuloma scored the game’s decisive goal, 18 minutes from the end, turning home Zoumana Doumbia’s free kick with the FUS defence failing to clear their lines, to hand three crucial points to the hosts.Read moreCreated Date: 24 May 2017Hist: 650Akwa United duo of Alhassan Ibrahim and Abdu Maikaba have been named League Bloggers Awards (LBA) Player and Manager for April respectively following their outstanding performances in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) in the month under review. Alhassan emerged winner of the player's award for April after seeing off challenges from the trio of Chinedu Udechukwu of Katsina United, Nasarawa United defender Yinka Onaolapo and Lobi Stars forward Anthony Okpotu.Read moreCreated Date: 23 May 2017Hist: 899By Alfred Okoligwe Enyimba International goalkeeper, Fatau Dauda, has looked back at his decision to join the Aba club and put it all down to the competitiveness of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) which he argued bodes well for his career progression. The Ghanaian international goalkeeper has had stints in South Africa with Orlando Pirates and Chippa United but joined the twice African champions in Aba for reasons he insists are more favorable to his...Read moreCreated Date: 22 May 2017Hist: 488By Mohammed Suleiman Niger Tornadoes coach Abubakar Bala believes that his charges are yet to overcome their hangover from the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) break following their 1-0 loss at Kano Pillars on Sunday. According to him, Tornadoes players are yet to hit proper shape due to the long break. Bala also blamed momentary loss of concentration as reason behind the goal they conceded.Read moreCreated Date: 22 May 2017Hist: 457By Wale Mustapha El-Kanemi Warriors manager, Issa Ladan Bosso, has expressed confidence that his team can finish in one of the top-three places in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) table by the end of the season and clinch a place on the continent despite Sunday's setback in Ilorin against ABS FC. Bosso's men suffered a 1-2 reverse and the coach was quite bitter that they deserved to have left the Kwara State Stadium with a result.Read moreCreated Date: 21 May 2017Hist: 859Shell–shocked fans of Shooting Stars Sports Club (3SC) were still rooted to their seats 30 minutes after referee Umar Mohammed’s final whistle, as 10–man FC IfeanyiUbah achieved the unimaginable of a 3-0 whiplash of the Oluyole Warriors right at the Lekan Salami Stadium, Ibadan. On the final day of the first stanza, the Anambra Warriors had come from one goal down to edge the Ibadan landlords 2-1 in Nnewi, so when the visitors led 2-0 at half time, Shooting Stars retained hopes of a comeback...Read more
- Created Date: 21 May 2017Hist: 289By Tola Badekale Akwa United played their Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) game at MFM with one man less in the last four minutes leaving the host team with little time to make any sort of impact in a match that ended 0-0. Aremu Azeez's sending off was the third key moment of a match that had few chances of producing a goal.Read moreCreated Date: 21 May 2017Hist: 596By Fisayo Dairo Substitute Ebuka Okeke scored deep into injury time to give champions Rangers a hard earned 2-1 win over fellow relegation battlers Gombe United at the Nnamdi Azikwe Stadium, Enugu on Sunday. The visitors went in front in this NPFL Match Day 20 game after just 11 minutes on the clock when new signing Abdulwaheed Afolabi lashed home a half-volley from inside the box, but the hosts equalized in first half stoppage time when Godwin Aguda found himself unmarked inside the box to head...Read moreCreated Date: 20 May 2017Hist: 556By Promise Etim Rivers United got the second stanza of their campaign to a flying start with hard fought 1-0 win against Nasarawa United at the Yakubu Gowon Stadium, Port Harcourt, despite playing most of the game with 10 men, following the sending off of Festus Austine, just after the half hour mark.Read moreCreated Date: 19 May 2017Hist: 783This weekend, the race on all fronts in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) takes the driving seat with a finely-balanced contest between MFM FC and Akwa United set for the Centre of Excellence, Lagos on Sunday. There will be the battle for the title, the race for survival, the chase for the golden boot and also the safest hands between the sticks. One of such battles has its setting at the Agege Stadium where two teams, Akwa United and MFM FC, now considered title contenders of...Read moreCreated Date: 19 May 2017Hist: 309By Clement Nwankpa Jnr Plateau United ended the first stanza of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) 2016/17 season two points clear at the top of the log and the club’s manager, Kennedy Boboye is confident they will sustain the run of good form to clinch their first-ever title. In a buoyant light-hearted mood, Boboye declared to those expecting the club to slip up to keep waiting.Read moreCreated Date: 19 May 2017Hist: 254By Blessing Fowowe Mindful of the collapse of MFM FC after an explosive run in the first stanza last season, Fidelis Ilechukwu has expressed determination to avoid the mistakes of last season which saw his side almost lose their place in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL). The Olukoya Boys had enjoyed a good first half to the 2015/16 NPFL season but found themselves struggling for survival in the second half of the season. They edged FC Ifeanyiubah 1-0 in the final game of the...Read moreCreated Date: 19 May 2017Hist: 373By Joshua Tekidek Coach Bala Nikyu, who replaced Mohammed Baba Ganaru at troubled Wikki Tourists of Bauchi held his first training session with the squad on Wednesday evening and afterwards charged the players not to give in to despair but to see the start of the NPFL second stanza as a new season. Nikyu who has been hired by the club’s new management team, parted at Katsina United only after a few matches this season for poor results following the team’s promotion to the Nigeria Professional...Read moreCreated Date: 18 May 2017Hist: 509By Fisayo Dairo Enyimba FC left-back Chima Akas is adamant the team are on the right track under the guidance of the head of coaching crew, Gbenga Ogunbote. The Peoples Elephant who currently play their home games at the UJ Esuene Stadium in Calabar due to endless repairs on their home turf in Aba are placed seventh on the NPFL log halfway gone in the season.Read more
- Created Date: 18 May 2017Hist: 388By Promise Etim Akwa United followed up their pre-season transfer market activities with the signing of another five players during the mid-season break after finishing fifth on the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) log at the end of the first round of 19 matches. The intensive overhaul of the squad including hiring of a new manager, Abdu Maikaba which caused pundits to rank the club one of the favourites to finish well in the season especially given the performance of Maikaba in the...Read moreCreated Date: 18 May 2017Hist: 864Ahead the start of second round of matches in the Nigeria Professional Football League (2016/17) season, the League Management Company (LMC) and the Federal Inland Revenue Services (FIRS) are partnering to resuscitate the Wonder Goal series. At the turn of the second round of matches last season, the LMC had introduced the Wonder Goal to build affinity between players, their clubs and their community of domicile. It aimed amongst other objectives to create an engagement channel between the...Read moreCreated Date: 18 May 2017Hist: 197By Damiete Sanipe After a rather disappointing first round of 19 matches in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) this season, Remo Stars manager, Fatai Osho is expressing confidence that the team would not be relegated in this their first season in the top league. Osho came in as replacement for former international Under-17 team coach, Nduka Ugbade who left his role due to contract talks falling through after six matches, but the managerial change seems to have done little to lift...Read moreCreated Date: 17 May 2017Hist: 343By Clement Nwankpa Jr Sunshine Stars mid-season signing, Thankgod Ike, has expressed delight at linking up with coach Austin Eguavoen in Akure. Eguavoen, a former Super Eagles coach was unveiled shortly before the mid-season break as manager of Sunshine Stars and Ike is among the players brought in to strengthen the squad ahead the last half of the season. "I have played under Eguaovoen when he was in charge of the Super Eagles, so I know him very well. I am happy to meet him again here. You...Read moreCreated Date: 17 May 2017Hist: 579By China Acheru Just a few years ago, Sunday Falaye was playing in the Apapa Zone of the Lagos State Principals’ Cup for secondary schools but now he is banging in goals in his first season in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL). When Shooting Stars signed inside forward, Falaye from Freetown Academy in the off-season, little did they know they had just acquired a Neymar-esque player.Read moreCreated Date: 16 May 2017Hist: 731By Promise Etim Founded in 1976, Enyimba popularly referred to as the Peoples Elephant is Nigeria’s most successive club, having won: the league title seven times; four Federation Cup trophies and two CAF Champions League titles. Since winning the league in 2015, the Elephant have struggled to hit the heights in the domestic front, despite parading array of quality players and managers. Recently, the club have been plagued with managerial challenges, with Paul Aigbogun initially drafted in for...Read moreCreated Date: 16 May 2017Hist: 286By Fisayo Dairo Sunday Adetunji has quietly gone about his business of scoring goals in the Nigeria Professional Football League in the past three seasons. The attacker, born in Osun State but raised in Lagos, has traversed the three major divisions of the country in four years. Adetunji was a household name in Maiduguri where he carved a niche for himself in the colours of El-Kanemi Warriors before going West to represent Shooting Stars last term.Read moreCreated Date: 16 May 2017Hist: 423By Andrew Randa With the resumption of the second round of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) just days away, one man who cannot wait to get back into the action is Godwin Obaje. The 20-year-old defends the colours of FC Ifeanyiubah these days but he will be remembered for his bags of goals for Wikki Tourists last season as he emerged the top scorer for the 2015/16 NPFL season with 18 goals.Read more
- Created Date: 15 May 2017Hist: 386By Wale Mustapha Abubakar Bala has insisted he was extremely satisfied with Niger Tornadoes' business in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) mid-season transfer window saying the club prioritized 'quality' in the business. The Niger Tornadoes coach believes that his current squad can compete against any team in the NPFL and register positive results.Read moreCreated Date: 15 May 2017Hist: 435•Clubs rate half season successful, to pay fines within 10 working days•LMC charges clubs to ensure peaceful stadium atmosphere At the end of a mid-season review session in Abuja, Monday, chairmen and general managers of clubs in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) rated the half season as successful with a call on the League Management Company (LMC) to improve on some lapses that were observed in the course of the first 190 matches. On their side, the clubs pledged to be...Read moreCreated Date: 15 May 2017Hist: 400By Janefrances Nweze Rangers International FC mid-season signing, Ifeanyi George believes there is still a great deal of chance for the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) title holders to fight for honours despite their poor start to the season. George even holds a mathematically unrealistic optimism that the club can still retain title in the current season.Read moreCreated Date: 14 May 2017Hist: 334By Wale Mustapha New Niger Tornadoes' goalkeeper Kazeem Yekeen is unfazed by the competition he faces at his new club and believes it is a fresh challenge to prove his worth between the sticks. Yekeen completed a mid-season switch to Tornadoes from El-Kanemi Warriors last month, bringing an end to his two-season stint with Maiduguri-based side.Read moreCreated Date: 14 May 2017Hist: 380Only one Nigerian club – Rivers United - are still in the running for continental glory this season. Rivers United are largely unheralded in African football but with Enugu Rangers, Wikki Tourists and FC Ifeanyiubah all failing to make progress beyond the early stages of the Caf Champions League and Confederation Cup this year, all eyes, in Nigeria will now literally be on the ‘Pride of Rivers’ to salvage some pride for the most populous black nation in the world.Read moreCreated Date: 13 May 2017Hist: 312•Fined N3.25m and two match stadium ban Gombe United came under grave reprimand and financial sanctions by the League Management Company (LMC) for various breaches of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Framework and Rules arising from disruptive conduct of their supporters and officials in a rescheduled Match Day 19 fixture against Rangers International. The LMC in a separate letter to goalkeeper Emmanuel Fabiyi of Gombe United sympathised with him for the assault by the club...Read moreCreated Date: 12 May 2017Hist: 365By Fisayo Dairo Akwa United are arguably one of the most entertaining teams seen so far in the Nigeria Professional Football League 2016/17 season. Everything about the team seem clad in splendour. Starting from their home base, Uyo; the beautiful capital city of Akwa Ibom state, the easy-on-the-eye playing philosophy known with Abdu Maikaba, the team's head coach, to the majestic Nest of Champions, home ground of the team, the magnificent understanding among the outfield players and the...Read moreCreated Date: 12 May 2017Hist: 218The League Bloggers Awards (LBA) has announced its shortlists for performances in the month of April in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL). On Thursday, the LBA named Kennedy Boboye of Plateau United, Nasarawa United's Kabiru Dogo, Ifeanyiubah's Ghanaian manager Yaw Preko and Abdu Maikaba of Akwa United as the men to contend for the manager's award for April. The players' shortlist has Katsina United big striker Chinedu Udechukwu, Akwa United's Alhassan Ibrahim, Nasarawa United...Read more
- Created Date: 12 May 2017Hist: 526Abubakar Bukola Saraki (ABS) FC have announced the elevation to the main squad of two players from the youth team that recently won the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Under-15 Promises tournament. One other player from their youth squad and four other new players were also brought in to complete their mid-season transfer window activities. The club's media disclosed that team's director of football, Alloy Chukwuemeka announced the development in Ilorin where he explained that the...Read moreCreated Date: 12 May 2017Hist: 533By Blessing Fowowe Fatai Amoo is upbeat that a reinforced Shooting Stars squad will post better runs when the second round of games in the 2016/17 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) commences from Sunday, May 21. His optimism has been fueled by the presence of his returning stars and other additions to his team which he believes are sufficient to keep the Ibadan side out of relegation at the end of the season.Read moreCreated Date: 11 May 2017Hist: 283By Clement Nwankpa Jr The aspiration of most recently promoted teams to the NPFL is to survive the drop but Katsina United coach Baldwin Bazuaye is aiming higher. In Bazuaye's estimation, a top-five finish will represent a successful season for him. "I have set very high targets. I want us to finish among the top five. I wouldn't mind a continental ticket but a more realistic target for me is top five," he said.Read moreCreated Date: 11 May 2017Hist: 461By Fisayo Dairo Rivers United rose from the ashes of defunct Sharks FC and Dolphins both of Port Harcourt about 18 months ago but the richly financed team seem to have been born with a goal scoring crisis. The team have managed a return of just twelve (12) goals in 19 games and currently sit 13th on the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) log with 24 points, just a point clear of others in the relegation zone. If football is indeed a game of goals, then the key reason behind the...Read moreCreated Date: 10 May 2017Hist: 625By Uchenna Iyoke Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) champions Rangers International survived the scare of Gombe United to earn a vital point in a six-goal thriller decided at the Pantami Stadium, Gombe on Wednesday. The rescheduled Matchday 19 which rounded off the first stanza of the league was a fierce contest that produced moments of excitement for the spectators. The reigning champions took the lead, when midfielder Obinna Nwobodo opened scoring on 12 minutes. He pounced on a...Read moreCreated Date: 10 May 2017Hist: 241Injured ABS FC midfielder, Muiz Adeoti, has been speaking of his injury, treatment and recuperation affirming that all has been good as he looks forward to rejoining the rest of the squad for the home stretch of the season. Adeoti told the club’s media team that his recovery plans are going according to schedule having undergone a successful surgery.Read moreCreated Date: 09 May 2017Hist: 303MFM FC strikers, Sikiru Olatunbosun and Stephen Odey have described their first ever Super Eagles call-up as dream come true. Odey and Olatunbosun have been almost peerless this season in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL). Both players have interestingly been directly involved in all goals scored by MFM FC this season. The two NPFL stars were included in Nigeria's squad for the friendly game against Corsica and a camping in France ahead of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON)...Read moreCreated Date: 06 May 2017Hist: 264Katsina United playmaker Destiny Ashadi has assured that the club will keep their Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) status despite sitting just three points clear of the bottom-four and interestingly in 11th position in the ranking. Ashadi knows that they are in for a business end of the season that will be demanding and also knows they have to be on top of their game at their Muhammadu Dikko Stadium in Katsina when the second round begins on May 21.Read more
- Created Date: 05 May 2017Hist: 413The recently concluded Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) U-15 Promises Tournament has been described as the jumpstarting of the process for a sustainable youth football culture in the NPFL. Speaking after the closing ceremonies for the tournament won by Abubakar Bukola Saraki (ABS) FC, Harry Iwuala, Head of Special Project at the League Management Company (LMC) remarked that participating clubs were enjoined not to see the tournament as a competition but an activity to implement...Read moreCreated Date: 03 May 2017Hist: 389By China Acheru Daniel Etor struck in the 22nd minute to give Rangers the lead and what turned out to be the only goal of their game against Plateau United, a rescheduled Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Matchday 14 fixture. The win took Rangers to 22 points and 16th on the table from 19th where they languished before now. Rangers started the game fast paced, immediately pegging back the league leaders but had profligacy to blame for not scoring when they...Read more
NPFL Results : MD21
NPFL League Table
Photo Gallery : Football Action
Abubakar (Nas) andOgbugh
Ayo Saka (Rivers)
Abubakar (Nas) and Ogbugh
Emeka ogbugh (Rivers) Olayinka (Nas)
Emmanuel Makama (Nas)
Odah (Rivers) and Makama (Nas)
Ogbugh [Rivers] and Seun [Nas]
Odumegwu, Saka (Rivers) and Seun(Nas)
Ogbugh (Rivers) and Olayinka (Nas)
Rivers Chinedu Ogbugh & Nasarrawa Olayinka Onolapo
William (Nas) and Ogbugh (Rivers)
William (Nas) and Odah (Rivers)
A Rangers supporter with his Vuvuzela
Afolabi Abdulwaheed of Gombe United challenges Orji Kalu of Rangers
Ahmed Yusuf of Gombe United is beaten for the winning goal by Rangers
Ahmed Yusuf of Gombe United is helped up by the referee